New Career time...need advice

by Lostreality 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Where to start...hmmm
    In high school I took Marketing and Business Management for 2 years, and was in the top of my class. I didnt like how slow the whole process was moving, so i decided to leave high school early (GED), and pursue college courses. I enrolled at the local Community College, Portland Community College. At this time, I was still just 16 years old, and jobless. As a result, I quickly ran out of money to pay for college. Currently, I am 17 years old (18 on the 27th of June) and working full time as an apartment mangement staff member. Currently, I make about $1000 a month, and have to pay $525 in rent. As a result, budget is tight, and times are tough. Instead of electing to take another job, I have decided to pursue further, my higher education. I am enrolled in PCC for the Winter term. However, I am unsure where to begin. What type of things should I consider when making a descion to go into Marketing?

Job possibilities?
    Income?
    Job Security?
    Education required?

Any advice is good advice!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

First off... with an income like that, I hope you're getting Pell grants! You shouldn't have to pay a dime for college.

Just curious... what made you choose Marketing?

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Honestly? I took it in high school, and was one of the only topics that I actually looked FOWARD to going to each day...I figure a job in a subject I love, has gotta bring me some joy and the ability to support a family right?

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Lost- here are some links that might help you:

http://www.careers-in-marketing.com/

http://www.knowthis.com/careers/careersmkt.htm

Good luck with it.

XW

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

thanks xena, ill look at those sites

any more tips?

• shamus
    shamus

Just if you are 17 right now, get back into school NOW. You can have good job security and a decent wage rather than struggling daily like many un-educated people. (not all, though).

Anything health-care related is good. Ever consider that? Or how about real-estate? Estimating? The possibilities are endless. I suggest seeking a counsellor at school to speak to. Most colleges have those up in Canada, I know.... don't know about your neck of the woods.

Remember, too, the best way to get revenge on the evil society is to live your life happily and preferrably wealthy. I"m not saying that you have to be greedy; just whatever makes you happy.

• willyloman
    willyloman

PCC probably has, like most community colleges, a very good counseling and career advisory program, and may offer aptitude testing, etc. You should get to know the people in counseling extremely well and memorize all the student services that are available to you such as financial aid, tutoring, student computer labs, and so forth. The modern day community college in the U.S. is state funded and designed especially for people who would otherwise not be able to afford to get into higher education. They are there to help and the array of services they offer students is almost unimaginable. Alas, many students suffer through a semester or two, drop out, and never find out about all this built in support. Go talk to someone today!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit