An interesting article I found....

by GenericMan 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GenericMan
    GenericMan

Here's an article by Nicholas Rescher, professor of philosophy at the University of Pittsburgh. Its titled On Faith and Belief. I stumbled across it while browsing the internet for articles. It was well written and interesting, so I had to share it with everybody here. Please note that who ever copied this article to the net made some technical mistakes.

Here is the link for the article:

www.faithquest.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=75

On the same site, there is another article by the same author about his own personal experiences with regards to religion.

Here is Dr.Rescher's Profile at the University of Pittsburgh:
    www.pitt.edu/~rescher/

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Phew, that's some "heavy" stuff.... example: Problems of Atheism In principle, even a doxastic atheist can be an axiological theist. That is, even the person who thinks that God's non-existence is a sure thing, can nevertheless regret this and wish with all his heart that the matter stood otherwise. The status of axiological theism would -- to be sure -- be substantially altered if the evaluative stance at issue were demonstrably futile, with all hope forlorn because one could somehow establish in a knock-down, drag-out way that a God conceived of along a particular line was something altogether infeasible. If the ontological atheist could actually prove his case outright, then axiological theism would be reduced to mere wishful thinking. But outside of pure mathematics such demonstrations of n onexistence are difficult if not impossible to come byBut can axiological theism not be foreclosed ..

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

By heavy stuff, you mean fancy language?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

All he is there saying is that because the theist position is unfalsifiable atheists will never be able to close the case.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I must say, there is not enough philosophy on this board. Although I post a lot of fluff, I am still a spiritual person, but not of the "bible type" by any means. Lately I am filled with the feeling that I had a life before, possibly many, and we choose to come here. I sometimes want to "go back home". I can't put these feelings in words (I may sound crazy to the un-initiated), these are things you have to experience. I can see a bigger picture, even if some may think we are all heathens here, I may disrespect the bible or swear, (hope I don't offend anyone), but I actually do see another reality.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Lately I am filled with the feeling that I had a life before, possibly many, and we choose to come here. I sometimes want to "go back home". I can't put these feelings in words (I may sound crazy to the un-initiated),

It doesn't sound crazy to me. That's what my morman friends kind of believe - sounds about as good as anyone elses explanations.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Double Edge, god bless you. I guess you are part of the new religion like me. I actually met an angel at Mikes BBQ, I don't know the name, and he's not on the internet, but he made things clear to me. I don't want to freak people out here. After exposing myself as a sinner of many kinds, I don't want to shock people, that I still have a spiritual side.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit