Jehovah's Mother-in-law

by Faraon 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Faraon
    Faraon

Asherah: Mother of the Goddess Anath, consort of Yahweh
    I was trying to prove to a Spanish site that the bible uses euphemisms in order to cover up certain words of sexual origin. One of those is "grove" which is used in order to cover up the sexual images of Asherah. In the Reyna-Valera version of the Spanish Bible, their authors use the Spanish word "bosques" Which would literaly translate into English as "woods" I looked up Exodus 34:13 for the translation of "groves" in different bibles. The translations for "grove" follow after the name of the Bible
    King James Version (KJV) groves
    New King James Version (NKJV) wooden images
    Darby Translation (DARBY) Ashe'rim
    New International Version (NIV) Asherah poles NOTE: That is, symbols of the goddess Asherah
    New American Standard Bible (NASB) Asherim NOTE: I.e. wooden symbols of a female deity
    Young's Literal Translation (YLT) shrines

Still curious about Asherah, I used a search Engine. The following site was first on the engine.
    http://www.spiralgoddess.com/Asherah.html
    In this site it is claimed that Asherah is Yaweh's (Jehovah's) mother-in-law.

JRP
    If I wanted your opinion, I would beat it out of you (seen in a bumper sticker)

• logical
    logical

And your point is?

• Faraon
    Faraon

Logical,
    There are two points
    1. Bible is not translated properly and/or consistently.
    2. I had never read before that Jehovah had a consort, or that his consort's mother was Asherah.
    Have you heard about such a thing before?

JRP

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

Pharaoh
    first things first, you are not going to find a direct reference to her as consort in the bible, i believe the name comes up but as a false god of a different nation. . .
    yes i have heard of Asherah, but from what i understand it is supposed to be his wife/consort not so much his mother-in-law
    what was your reference to the name?

another thing there is a second wife and i have her name in my library i can retrieve it if you are interested but i would have to get up and goto the book i read it in, i'll post it later

it seems that polygamy was practice and that it was no different for the gods, personally, it makes sense why a god would allow polygamy, he was taking part in it himself

another reson as to Asharah is that since man created god to answer those things that had no answer at the given time, he created god with the traits that he would like god to have

now according to the Quabalah it gets interesting cause this Asharah deity could very likely be one of the 10-fold manifestions of this Hebrew god Yahweh. . .this has to do with the tree of life that is depicted in occult books, not sure if you are familiar with the illustrations,
    (see if this helps, picture the rubiks cube its is 3 squares high by 3 squares across, take the middle vertical row add one square above it, you would have 10 squares now, from right to left it would be 3 4 3, with one oustside the box, take that same middle row and push up on the one you added and drop the other 3 a bit
    and you would have a general idea of the shape to which i refer)
    if not i'll find a link. . .

what it comes down to is that god has several ways of putting himself/herself together and that is how he/she created the universe (according to Jewish mysticism/Quablah) and the world according to the vibrations produced by a combination of the spheres in the tree of life a desired result is obtained and the various manifestations of life as we know. . . .

DC

"New Way, What's this about a new way???"---Alex, Clockwork Orange

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

The Following is taken from the

Witches' Goddess by Janet & Stewart Farrar:

p. 39
    "The Hebrew Jarah, after whom Jericho, was named was goddess of the new moon and bride of the sun; Levanah, the moon of the Song of Solomon, was also Chaldean; and another Chaldean moon goddess Sirdu, wife of teh sun god Shamash-Bubbar, may also have been the bride of the Hebrew IAO(Yahweh). "

p. 47
    "More than this: the Canaanite Anat was worshipped alongside Yahweh by many Jewish apostates, including the Jewish soldiers at Elephantine. Anat was (like the Egyptian Neith) Virgin mother of all things, including the male god, conceiving all of her own volition and without outside impregnation. She became (in a mystery typical of many primordial godesses) at the same time mother, consort, sister and daughter of the male god. Likr Neith, 'she was the first to give birth to anything, and she had done so when nothing else had been born, and she herself had never been born.' Something of this concept (however unofficially) undoubtedly influenced thinking about Mary. As Geoffry Ashe puts it (the virgin, p.61): 'If any hint from the constellation of senior deities crept into Christian minds, it was probably subconscious and its nature is quite uncertain. But they are relevant to Mary as the divinely fertilized women are not, even though their own motherhood is outside history and humanity.'

p 106
    "The Hebrews, and their Christian and Moslem heirs, owe many unacknowledged debts to Ishtar --- including their Sabbaths, as mentioned in p.25. The Babylonian word was sabbatu, derived from sa-bat--'heart-rest', and was the day of the full moon, when the goddess was held to be menstruating, and it was believed unlucky to do any work, eat cooked food or travel. All of these have been taboo to menstruating women in many cultures, but when Ishtar was menstruating the ban covered men as well as women. Later the sabbatu was extended to the four lunar quarters -- ie, every seven days, which is how Hebrews inherited it.

"The Hebrews also owe the biblical book of Esther, and the Purim festival, to Ishtar. During the Babylonian captivity in the 5th century BC, the ordinay jewish captives turned naturally to the to the worship of ishtar. A vita part of the worship was the hieros gamos or sacred marriage between the king and the human representative of the goddess (chosen from the fairest of the human priestesses), a union which bought blessings on the people; and the story of Esther and King Ahasuerus reflects this exactly. Even her name does so; before her marriage she wa Hadassah ('myrtle'), but from then on she was called Esther, a form of ishta. Significantly, the Purim festival is on the 14th and 15th days (ie, the full moon, sacred to Ishtrar) of the month Adar; and the word Purim is non-Hebrew, from the Assyrian 'Puhru', the annual assembly of the gods.

"The present book of Esther was written a generation or two BC, doubtless to make respectable a festival of ineradicable popularity. Scholars agree that it is full of interpolations; but its original meaning cannot be hidden. not once does it mention the Jewish God --- the only book in the bible, apart from the splendidly erotic Song of Solomon which does not."

p.130
    on the subject of the garden of eden and creating man. . .
    "Yahweh (or was it more Elohim, that curious God-name which is feminine with a masculine plural ending?) created them both at the same time"

p 192
    Aholibah: ('Tent in her') Hebrew, female personification of Jerusalem. Earlier apparently a wife of jehovah. Condemned by the Hebrew scriptures as a voluptuous whore, sometimes a menstruating one.

p. 195
    Anatha Baetyl also Ashima Baetyl: Hebrew. A form of the Canaanite ANAT. One of the 2 wives of Jehovah in his fifth century BC cult at Elephantine in Egypt, the ohter being Ashima Baetyl. Solomon built two godes temples beside Jehovah's one in Jerusalem.

p. 199
    Ashtart: Phoenician, sister and wife of cronus, to whom she bore Eros. Cronus made her one of the rulers of Phonecia, and she chose a bull's head as her royal insignia. Referred to in the Old Testament as Ashtatroth. Reputation for lasciviousness. Ashtart-of-the-Sky-of-Baal was the planet Venus. Tends to merge Ashera and Astarte.

Astarte, Athtarat: Canaanite version of Ishtar, fertility goddess. Chief goddess of Tyre and Sidon. Astarte was also the Greek form of the name Ashtart. tends to merge with Asherat and Anat, and with the Egyptian Hathor. She came to Egypt; Ramses II had a temple to her, and she and Isis were said to be firm friends. Like Anat and Hathor, she was a suckler of kings. Associated with the planet Venus. The Greeks transfered her role in the Adonis story to Aphrodite. A cult of Astarte and Tyrian herakles, served by priestess, existed in London, Carlisle and Corbridge, Northumberland, in Roman Times, probably connected with the presence of Eastern traders.

p. 228
    Hepzibah: ('My delight is in her') Hebrew, personification of Jerusalem; possibly originally a wife of Jehovah.

p. 273
    Sirdu, Sirrida: A chaldean moon goddess, also called simply A, Aa or Ai. Wife of Sun god Shamash-Bubbar, or possibly of the Hebrew IAO(Yahweh)

hope the following helps you out pharaoh. . . .

"New Way, What's this about a new way???"---Alex, Clockwork Orange

• Faraon
    Faraon

DC,s Ghost,
    Thank you for your very extensive reply.
    Sorry I did not have the time to answer to thank you earlier.
    The more I read about the bible, the more convinced I am that Jehovah was only a Hebrew invention to have their people controlled.
    The information that you give me helps me put him in its right place. As a tribal deity no different from Jupiter, Thor, Zeus, etc.
    Thanks again for your New Light on the subject.
    Rene

JRP

• larc
    larc

Faraon and DC,

I was very impressed with your reseach. Now, if I got this right, Jehovah had a main squeeze and a couple of other chicks on the side. Way, cooool dudes.

• seedy3
    seedy3

WOW, interesting post. I have done some studying and found out that the god now refered to as YHWH in the bible was orginally a cannonite god, and was extensively worshiped in the hill or mountain areas in and around cannon. He was the God of War for them and was assoatied with Baal and infact was one of the Baal gods (if I remember right about the last part). Basicilly what seem to have happened was there was a cult of his developed amonst the habraus (what the egyptions called the now known Hebrews) after what is known as the exidous. he eventually became much more different then the god he origanally was as a god of war, and became the god of peace and love. As well as the one and only almighty god. I can find references to this, and can post them if you like, in another post. But I found your post facination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit