Do You Know a CO With Commonsense?

by esther 7 Replies latest jw friends

• esther
    esther

I have just read Amazing's 'Tribute to a Circuit Overseer', and it set me to wondering how many CO's actually have the commonsense displayed by Harry Snow.

esther

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Esther,

Are you looking for a CO to marry?

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Hi Esther,

Not many that I know of. To be honest, there was only one who I ever spent more than a few minutes talking to. I found the majority to be cold and aloof even when I was an elder for a short while.

I never knew anyone like Harry Snow and I had associated with JW's for over 30 years (from childhood). The majority of times, I seem to remember, the final CO discussion with the cong' (following the short "Watchtower") was usually about how bad we were, where we lacking, FS, meeting attendance etc, etc. When the WTS was all about "guilt-tripping" everyone why should the top men and representatives be much different.

Thirdson

Fred,

I didn't know you were a Circuit Overseer!

T.

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• esther
    esther

Thirdson, thank you.
    When I first associated with JWs, there were actually a couple of COs that I liked. They were very friendly with everyone, as far as I knew. The congregation was very small, so the COs visited us, and none of them put on airs or anything like that. However, I was not baptised at the time, so I didn't know much of what was going on.

esther

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Esther,

When you are so devoted to the 'company', coupled with all the perks you derive....complete strangers hanging on your every word, getting little envelopes of (undeclared JT) income, free vacations, new cars, and real power over others lives, it is damn difficult to exercise 'common sense', even if you have some.

Danny

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Seems to me that a C.O. has the most difficult job in the organisation. Apart from the lack of personal free time and space, etc he is limited in his personal power. Sure he has authority but that comes from being a mouthpiece of the Borg. Their souls are destroyed in their becoming robotic mouthpieces of a faceless organisation.

So for him to show any identity he has to express personal opinions, and therein lies trouble. We all know what damage those opinions given with the weight of authority can do.

This, coupled with the hard enforcing of Society rules and regulations, makes them to be a breed to be wary of.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• Maximus
    Maximus

Yes. But the number is dwindling because of Society selectivity. Company men get rewarded, individualism and humanity get squashed.

You got it, ozziepost. Right on, DannyBear.

Maximus

• metatron
    metatron

This is like observations about politicians.
    Somebody will say "Why are politicians so stupid?"
    Fact is, generally, they're not. They're just self serving
    toadies out to glorify/enrich themselves at the
    proletariat's expense.

The same applies here with CO's

Maybe a better question would be "are there any CO's who
    really care about the flock and being loving?"

very, very few
    and like elders who care
    their numbers are rapidly declining

metatron

Share this