The Power of the Human Spirit

by larc 8 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

I have read many accounts of human tragedy on this board. I have also read the recovery that people have experienced once they got out from under the oppressive and destructive world that was the Watchtower. I find it amazing that when people receive a modicum of a healthy environment how they are able to heal, sometimes quickly and sometimes more slowly, but the progress is there. To me, it is a testement to the power of the human spirit and its ability to bring healing within someone who is injured and suffering.
    I might add, that I have great affection for the congregation of people here. We might argue and fuss, but we do have a common bond and a common purpose - to help people get out of the suffering and prevent others from entering into it.

We might regret the lost years. However, we have the knowledge and experience to do a great deal of good for others, and that is our blessing.

• Cautious
    Cautious

Hi Larc

If you don't mind a newbie saying so, you beat me to the punch . I have been spending time in the experiences forum over the last few days, and because of that had been thinking of posting a similar observation to the one you have made here. For every person here who has left or is questioning the WTS there is a story of hurt and of healing.

You wrote:

We might regret the lost years. However, we have the knowledge and experience to do a great deal of good for others, and that is our blessing.
    This is what I have seen a lot of on this board - people who have turned their negatives into positives, not just for themselves, but for others.

I'm glad to know you all
    Cautious

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Mornin larc,

***We might argue and fuss, but we do have a common bond and a common purpose - to help people get out of the suffering and prevent others from entering into it. ***

I will add even one more caviat to all this recent fighting: 'making up'. Simply stated the real empathy and concern for one another is given an opportunity to shine. I have witnessed today, such things happening on the 'asshole wars' thread. It just goes to show almost without exception, people are basically good, caring and sensitive. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own little world's, it takes some confrontation to awaken us to our neglect or lack of feeling.

Speaking of which, my lady will soon be gettin all over this Bearass for spending so much time with all you lovely louts, so I may have to take my own advice and go do the 'honey do lists'.

Thanks for you comments larc.

Danny

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Nice comments, larc. True, very true.

RCat

• nojw86
    nojw86

Hi Larc, so very true, I am so grateful to have this board to read of others and the their healing process, it has helped in so many different ways, except when we get called terrible names by the jw, when your phyically sick, it brings down your healing process. But as you said Larc and I second, I have a great affection for the congregtion of people on this board. nojw

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Larc,

Thanks for the perceptive, whole-picture editorial on this board.

I agree completely. The bickering that goes on is part of being human. Maybe it's because everyone had to subdue any tendencies for so long, it's more noticeable here.

This is such a cozy place to visit and share ideas everyday. It's been a HUGE part of my transistion to normal life.

Pat

• waiting
    waiting

hey larc,

I just read the new thread about the WTBTS saying no *mature christian* will have *private doubts* in a new WT study.

Then I posted the Walsh Trial Thread - quoting Fred Franz and Covington as saying a person should be df'd for independent thinking - even if they were correct and the WTBTS wrong.

With that background, it's not hard to see why arguments over thoughts, phrases, etc., happen.

We jw's, for the most part, have never been allowed to speak openly about our own thoughts, opinions, etc. Never been able - or to learn - to discuss, even argue, points & emotions.

Some of us are still learning how to do these things.

But I do think that this place, H20, Support for XJW's, etc., sites are invaluable for us to communicate in.

Thanks, larc.

This book is the best work of fiction since fidelity was included in the French marriage vows. Rowan Atkinson

waiting

• Jang
    Jang

Strange that you raise this today cause i have only just been reading

http://www.mentalhealth.org/specials/schoolviolence/resilience.htm

http://www.hopeu.com/hopeu/hihopes/

It is incredible how we can rise above the horrible things htat can happen in our lives .....

JanG
    CAIC Website: http://caic.org.au/zjws.htm
    Personal Webpage: http://uq.net.au/~zzjgroen/

• joelbear
    joelbear

great post larc,

i think the giving human spirit is very present here. I think the same thing that drove us as witnesses to help people is what drives us now again to help people.

hugs

Joel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit