Ethical Relativism

by Tashawaa 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

For work, I'm taking an Ethics seminar (with test) in my industry. The focus of the course SHOULD be on the code of conduct we will govern ourselves by and the consequences of not doing so (basically a Group Ethic). However after I've read the course material, the author is very biased towards Ethical Relativism.

His comments range from:

" Matthew (the case study example) found that ethical relativism is based on an erroneous belief. It states there is no such thing as a universal moral principle and that only the individual's beliefs are real. But in fact, there is much research that states there are universal moral principles that are cross cultural."

"Ethical Relativism (Me First): There is no such thing as a universal moral principal to govern my behaviour. Everthing is relative, situational, negotiable, and up for grabs by whoever wishes to define what the values are for this particular occasion. Each new situation requires me to redefine my values and actions with me having the last say on what is right or wrong."

He confuses Utilitarian Ethics with Relativism. In one case study Matthew would be making an unethical (and illegal) choice by buying shares via insider trading. His comment is "Using just this ethical system, Matthew could well choose to buy the shares for himself. This would be the ethical relativist's choice."

UGH, I'm so frustrated. My understanding of Ethical Relativism is the viewpoint that ethics/morals are not absolute, but instead emerge from social customs and other sources. I lean towards this theory, and recognize that Relativism has its strengths and weaknesses (as does Absolute Ethics).

I just don't agree with him presenting the material in such a biased manner. He obviously perscribes to an "absolutist" point of view, and as such is presenting the relativism as an equivalent to an immoral, unethical, selfish, "godless" view.

I want to speak up. I don't know if its appropriate to raise these issues in the class (it is an ethics seminar) or speak to him before the seminar and let him know I felt his view of relativism was biased. I don't want to be "quiet" about it, because it will give a class room of people the wrong impression of this ethical theory.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

What a load of bull manure. What he's describing is not "ethical relativism", it's a lack of ethics.

By all means, speak up! Arguing with professors can be fun, although you do have to have your ducks in a row.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Eu is correct. By the very nature of the subject, "ethics" infers a standard. Anyone that has taken the time to read the Holy Books of the various world religions will see a common thread of morals and ethics that encompases the globe. The social laws and secondary issues are what separate the religions. Their "spiritual" values are the same. Your professor needs a wakeup call..

carmel

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa
    it's a lack of ethics

Exactly. Thats what he's describing. The thing is I can't get into a full-fledged debate, as I don't have all my "ducks in a row" (in the sense of reading material), BUT, I know this guy is way off base!!!

Anyone doing a "google" search, will in the basics of the theory NOT arrive at this guy's conclusions.

In alot of ways I think this view of Absolute and Relativism is just another form of God vs Evolution.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

Well, I got through the course. I was the first one to the class, so I had a second to speak with the author and instructor of the ethics material. After introducing ourselves, I told him that I noticed he wasn't a fan of "Relativism". He right away asked me if I had a BA or took any university courses. I told him "no", but that I have a personal interest in ethics and have read much on the subject. Then I quoted some source materials that I've used. I told him I disagreed with his definiation and use of the term "Ethical Relativity". He said that his audience usually doesn't have any exposure to ethics and its theories... thats it, so I let it go.

In class, we get to the part dealing with this theory. A slide is displayed with :

"Ethical Relativism (Me First): There is no such thing as a universal moral principal to govern my behaviour. Everthing is relative, situational, negotiable, and up for grabs by whoever wishes to define what the values are for this particular occasion. Each new situation requires me to redefine my values and actions with me having the last say on what is right or wrong."

So he's going on that this "Relativist" attitude is only a recent phenomenon (uhhh, hello, its been debated since the 5th century) and that its due to TV watching. That parents aren't training their children anymore with moral values (BS). Everyone in class seems to be buying into it. So I speak up.

"My understanding of Ethical Relativism from all the sources I've read, define it as "the viewpoint that ethics/morals are not absolute, but instead emerge from social customs and other sources" and that what he's describing is an unethical person or perhaps Egoism.

He says "egoism" grows out of Relativism.... really?!?!? new one to me. I know Utilitarian may come out of it, but this is a new one to me! So I said it.

He was flustered, and quite frankly, this wasn't the forum to debate him, so I just said that I wanted to make my point that I did not agree with his definition and use of the word.

Sporatically in the conversation, he would actually be promoting "relativism" in the class, and I would speak up and ask "isn't that relativity?" He would agree, because it was, and move on.

I don't know what his problem is with the theory (ignorance? bias???) but we got to hand in accessments afterwards. I marked him good on presentation, speech, etc. but I was honest in other areas and in my comments included that the use of what a "relativist would do (unethical decisions)" was inflammitory and biased.

I feel so much better now!!!!!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Sounds like you handled it really well... not confrontational, but made your point.

Good stuff!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit