Archie: Requiescat In Pace

by Maximus 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Maximus
    Maximus

..................Caroll O'Connor...................
    ..........................RIP..............................

All In the Family

Archie: Now, no predjudice intended, but I always check with the Bible on these here things. I think that, I mean if God had meant for us to be together he'd have put us together. But look what He done. He put youse people over in Africa, and put the rest of us in all the white countries.

Sammie Davis Jr.: Well, He must have told them where we were,
    'cause SOMEBODY came and got us.

Rest In Peace

• teejay
    teejay

hi, Max my friend.

i loved that show. they were talking about it on the radio on the way to work
    this morning. brought back a lot of memories. the panel seemed to think that
    it made a difference in race relations. do YOU think so? personally, i think the
    Archie types who watched the show would either think he was absolutely right
    about everything or else they wouldn't recognize themselves and laugh right
    along with the rest of the family.

hopefully the TV Land network will do a 24-hr marathon. i'll have to have my
    VCR ready.

RIP, indeed.

peace

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

I loved that show. It brings back alot of memories. Thanks, Maximus.

RCat

• Maximus
    Maximus

Tee-JAY, Tee-JAY!

You know what I'm saying. From that vantage point I had a unique glimpse.

What was surprising was that while no one would overtly admit to seeing oneself in Archie, we could see our own father, father-in-law, uncle, or .... and we got exposed.

For some it was their first real glimpse into an even somewhat real black family next door, exposed only to Stepin Fetchits and Toms who never told it like it was, as a workmate or whatever.

We saw the absurdity of our prejudices and all the bizarre attitudes in Archie, yet we just couldn't bring ourselves to hate him. He was a fool, but we understood the cracker. And we talked and argued about him around the dinner table. Nothing Archie said that we didn't hear at work or even on the playground.

Lionel: He'd never burn a cross on your lawn.
    Sammie Davis Jr: No, but if he saw one burning, he's liable to toast a marshmallow on it.

I picked the God quote above because it is so subtle.

I come down with those who feel All in the Family made powerful changes in society. It had been a world where couples never slept in the same bed, and no one had sex.

Archie: When your mother-in-law and me was going' around together, it was two yizz or tree--we never--I mean absolutely nothing', not till the wedding night.

Edith: Yeah, and even then .....

Take care, TJ.

Max

• Maximus
    Maximus

Got a favorite episode?

Mine is Archie's surgery. He's in bed, helpless in the skimpy gown, covered only by a thin blanket.

In walks someone in hospital blue garb. A woman. She's black. Speaks in a lilting Jamaican accent. Obviously she's the bed pan carrier.

Not. She's the doctor.

With a helluva sense of humor. Does the old Boogedda-Boogedda on him in a pretend Voodoo witch doctor bit.

M

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit