activism...yahoo.

by detective 9 Replies latest jw friends

• detective
    detective

Okay, I'm not that excited about it, but I feel I've done my part today, albeit, with mixed emotion.

I happened into a clinic at the hospital and lo and behold amidst the peoples and newsweeks in the waiting area... hmmm... someone tucked a few magazines into the reading selections- big surprise, I know! It just wouldn't be a waiting area without a "100 Best Dressed Celebs", a dog-eared Better Housekeeping, a barely touched Newsweek and of course, our best protection against Satan- the ever-popular Watchtower and Awake magazines.

Ugh. Now I'm miffed. I really have no desire to get all activist-y today but clearly something has to be done. I assess the receptionists- are they or aren't they? One in particular looks as if she has plenty of tea length frocks in the closet, if you know what I'm saying. Clearly the grabbing and running approach isn't going to work. But, I'm in an area where the people sitting in this clinic might have occasion to need blood. More so, than in other medical offices, I'd wager. Clearly, something has to be done, whether I like it or not.

So, I contacted an official at the hospital and they indicated that it would be addressed. And it will be, as when I spoke to the official, I just knew that they understood exactly why it was unacceptable to promote the WTBTS in the hospital environment.

There, even my lazy arse can do the activist dance every now and again.

And the kicker. In some weird way, I actually feel a little guilty. Justified and yet guilty. Can you believe it? and to think, I was never even a member of this crazy group! But the receptionist with modest attire- I felt a little bad for her. Weird, huh? But she is (most likely) a member of a destructive high control group, so flowery dress or not, you gotta do what you gotta do. She'll probably be told not to do it again and wonder what mystery person curbed her speading of the "good news". Well, maybe if they had a Weekly World News in the bunch of magazines, I might have overlooked the watchtower infraction...

Well, maybe not.

High control groups stink.

• michellej0000
    michellej0000

Bravo!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Bravo, detective, and welcome, Michelle!

• patio34
    patio34

Well I think you acted in the "never-let-a-good-thought-die" mode and you're an inspiration for me to DO something instead of just think about it!

Pat

• detective
    detective

Sorry guys and thanks for the responses. I checked for responses and saw that my story was growing dusty and unnoticed so I never checked it again! Bad me!

I did get a response from an hospital administrator, but I'm not sure if I can post it. I'll probably give the gist of it in a post next week...

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

Great to hear detective,

I look forward to hearing what the response was.

SD

• Emma
    Emma

Yeah! Good for you. I've done similar things, and yes felt both good and guilty. It's all that old programing; the wtbts sure does a great job, don't they.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Just do what I do: The Rip-n-Toss

Rip them in half and toss them in the trash! No need to ask anyone! They rags are free ya know.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I saw one in a laundromat one time. It was on blood. I figured if I threw it away, the Jdubs would just think that someone was reading their "literature" (Ever the optomists) and put even more there, so I just used a shapie marker I had with me and marked www.ajwrb.org on the cover.

Never saw JW mags back in that place again.

• shamus
    shamus

I will never forget one time when we were 'dropping off magazines' at the laundromat. Nobody was there, and, lo and behold, there were some of 'our' magazines there, with the words on the front written in "CULT MATERIAL" written all over them.

If I found some laying about, that's all I would do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit