Just found out that my manager at work is a JW!

by Atilla 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Atilla
    Atilla

I happen to bartend at one of those chain resturants, it's an ok job and is one of the few jobs that also allows me to go to school at the same time. As with an service job, the workforce is very transient, including even the managers. A few months ago we got a new manager that looked very familiar to me, like I had seen him before in my old JW circuit. At the time I just shrugged it off thinking I was going crazy. The one night I did casually drop the JW issue in conversation with him in a group discussion of employees, in fact I think we were just discussing religion in general and maybe someone else brought up JW's.

Anyways, his response to JW's was one of disgust, in fact he made a joke about them saying something like he would shoot at them if they came to his door. This made feel more at ease. However, just last night I found at that he is a JW because the other bartender overheard him requesting of Tue. and Thur. night and the reason he gave was religions reasons, and then more specifically that he is a JW. The other bartender knows that I used to be a JW and that they can be damaging to your life so he asked the manager about it. The manager said he had been out for awhile but he was trying to make an effort to get back in.

So, one of my managers is a JW and he knows that I was a JW, what to do? I will tread lightly, but I'm sure it will come up in conversation. For one thing, as a manager he probably works 60+ hours a week, so I'm not sure how serious he is about getting back in and it is very hard to set your schedule. Plus, from previous conversations that we had, I would never have figured him to be a JW from the things he has said. Well, I think I see some informal witnessing in my near future

• shamus
  • Country Girl
    Country Girl

I would definitely talk to *his* boss and make him/her aware of the situation and how JWs can refuse to work or cooperate with JW's that have gone apostate and make him/her aware what this means. Since he is in a position of authority over you, I would make *sure* that someone else knew what being an active JW means. He could actively shun you on the job and make your life difficult, and since he's in a position of authority, I'd watch him really carefully. However, I would also make sure that he knew that you could make it just as difficult for *him*, watching his every move. The game can be played two ways.

CG

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Danny sez:Prudent not Paranoid...always document and record everything maintain a paper trail.

• talesin
    talesin

It sounds like he may be leading a double life or receiving family pressure.

As already said, prudence and self-protection are warranted. I wouldn't try to paint him in a bad light (who knows what his issues and/or personal circumstances are?), but make sure that your a$$ is covered by preventive measures. CYA is my first rule of conduct in the business world.

talesin

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I wouldn't try to paint him in a bad light (who knows what his issues and/or personal circumstances are?), but make sure that your a$$ is covered by preventive measures.

This is excellent advice! CYA = walk softly with a big stick. You may be able to use this opportunity to UNWitness him - if he's not really been that strong, then kill him with kindess. Help him see that worldly people are not what the WTS says they are.

• Mary
    Mary
    Anyways, his response to JW's was one of disgust, in fact he made a joke about them saying something like he would shoot at them if they came to his door. This made ME feel more at ease. However, just last night I found at that he is a JW because the other bartender overheard him requesting of Tue. and Thur. night and the reason he gave was religions reasons, and then more specifically that he is a JW

Huh? Am I reading this right? He's a JW, wants Tuesday and Thursday nights off for the meetings and yet he said he'd "shoot at them if they came to his door?" Did he forget to take his medication, cause this just doesn't make sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit