Custom golf clubs

by onintwo 7 Replies latest jw friends

• onintwo
    onintwo

Has anyone here had custom golf clubs made by a Certified club maker? Curious about the experience with the fitting and afterwards. (results)

Onintwo

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I have one in my bag that was made especially for me by a Class A clubmaker. And the guy really knows his stuff. The problem is, I'm a newbie golfer, and I really don't know MY stuff.

I wanted a good fairway wood, and that's why I went to see this guy. He set me up with a nice 5 wood, with a low center of gravity and a fairly small face ... comfortable grip & a graphite shaft. Some days, I can smack the bejesus outta my ball with this, and get it to land right where I want. Other days, it doesn't do squat for me. I'm better off sticking with an iron. But I think that's more a Dan-O factor than the club.

I'm not in a rush to buy more custom clubs, just like I don't waste my money on top end balls. I'm not at that point in my game. If you ARe ... if you have your swing down tight & would benefit from better clubs that are tailored for you ... then go for it!

• onintwo
    onintwo

Hey, Dan-O. Thanks for the comments.

Who does have their swing down really tight? Not me. But I'm actually thinking of the clubs for my wife. She's struggling with her game. Her birthday is coming up this month and about four weeks ago I played with this guy who thinks he can help her. (he let her hit his seven wood and she hits the holy hell out of it never having seen it before)

With the new offset clubs and high tech shafts, swing weights that are matched for your swing speed, proper loft and lie, proper diameter grips, etc, etc, etc, I'm hoping she can play better and thus enjoy herself more. That's the whole thing. If she enjoys the game more.

Her woods are very old, and I actually tried to hit them myself. (they're old steel shaft, persimmons with very worn grips) While I'm no pro, I could tell that they would be tough to score with consistently. Her irons are new. And she got the driver she always wanted last year and hits it 200-210 here in the Northwest.

Onintwo

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Wow ... steel shafts & persimmon heads. Yeah. Spend some bucks to get her fitted at the local pro shop.

If I was in a money-spending mood, I'd probably also invest in some lessons from a decent golf school or at least the PGA pro at your local course. You might also check the local college to see if they offer golf workshops. The coach for the college team may be the one teaching the classes. He will ask you to bring your clubs, and will probably have several classes available, each focusing on a single group of clubs (i.e., putting, short irons, fairway woods, etc.).

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

onin- OMG- I feel for her. Nothing is worse than hitting a club that feels like it stops dead with every swing and reverberates up your arm. I had clubs fitted for me several years ago and the change was immediate and I loved them. They spent a lot of time with me looking at everything- my swing, my stance and all and compensated for some things in the clubs. I'm now wanting new ones but it will have to wait until next year.

One of the best investment I made was in my driver. I hit a Big Bertha Steelhead. It's light and I can hit it well. And I found out while goofing around hitting some balls into the bay one weekend a couple of years ago. It's the best club in my bag. And oooohhhh that sound it makes when you've hit it
    well !!! I will be purchasing a good 7 wood this year though- I've hit my mom's and I love it !!

Awww Dan-O- the old golf problem eh? Many years ago I was golfing with a good friend of mine. At that point I teed off with my 3 iron all the time. I used to take my driver out from time to time to try it once again and just couldn't use the damn thing. My friend told me "hit that club !! Live by it and die by it" From then on I started taking it out every drive and it did get better. Haven't used an iron on the tee for many years.

"Golf is like sex. You don't have to be good at it to enjoy it"

XW

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Actually, XW< I can swing my driver fairly well from the tee box. I normally hit around 225, and 250 is within reason. And I know that sound you're talking about, too ... I remember the first time I bombed one out there almost 300 yards. It was sweet! But long drives like that are rare for me.

Now my 3 iron? I may as well leave it in the bag. I can't hit it well. Some days, I wonder why I carry it or the 4 out to the course.

What I was talking about was my shots from the fairway. Sometimes, I can hit well with a 3 wood or a 5 wood, and I have a 7 wood that I usually swing consistently. Other times, I know I just need to grab a 5 or 6 iron for the shot. And that's where I'm focusing my game this season: picking the right club for the shot, even if it means less distance, so that I can better control the ball.

And my play with short rons is getting pretty good. The only hole in my game there is the little 10 yard chips from just off the green. I tend to swing with a little too much speed, and the ball rolls off the other side of the green. Put me 50 to 100 yards out, and I'll flop it up there with a sand wedge, no problem.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

O-Dan- I knew whatcha meant !! It just reminded me of that thing with me and that damn 3 iron. I know what you mean too- I don't know why I have the 3 or the 4 in the bag either. I just can't get a smooth shot with either. But I'm superstitous-lol- I don't carry my bag anyway and I figure it's a SET so they must stay together whether I use them all or not or something really bad will happen to my game !!

Hey, for those close shots, have you tried a lob wedge? My brother built one and that is exactly what he uses it for.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

No, I don't even have one of those, XW. I've thought about pulling my 3 & 4 irons to make room for a gap wedge & a lob wedge, to give myself more control in my short game.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit