"kill a temporary, save a bethelite"

by chipster 3 Replies latest jw friends

• chipster
    chipster

anyone ever heard this before???...during my theocratic rising star days i was accepted to temporary bethel service (whew, appointment by holy spirit???), and was appalled to hear this for the first time.. what a bunch of lazy ass bethelites us hardworking temporaries were assigned to work with...busting out old walls on the Towers building....those poor fellows couldn't make it in the real world, i'm afraid...ya gotta love it!! LOL

• Mulan
    Mulan

Reminds me of the tales my husband tells of his temporary work at Bethel. He was called there several times to do construction work.
    He is a drywall contractor, and very skilled, obviously. He was so frustrated all the time, by their poor work habits, and the protocol they had to put up with all the time. And the constant interruptions to change clothes and take a long hike to the dining room, and back again, change clothes and do a couple hours work, and do it all again.

He said those guys assigned to him wouldn't last 10 minutes on a real construction site. And they didn't appreciate his trying to show them faster, more efficient ways to do the work either. They were stuck in their system. On his last trip, they had him teaching the trade to some "new boys". At least they were somewhat teachable.

At the time, I couldn't understand why he didn't think it was all so wonderful. He was two years into his special reading program, by the time he went the last time. Poor guy. It was anotehr year before I knew what was going on.

• Princess
    Princess

My husband went along with my dad (Mulan's husband) on his last trip. He absolutely HATED it. He is a plumbing contractor with about 15 years experience at the time and was assigned to work under the direction of a kid. He was mad as hell about being bossed around by this lazy guy who had no idea what he was doing. The constant interruptions were frustrating to him as well. I remember being so sad that he didn't like it there. It was the beginning of the end.

Princess

"...and they lived happily ever after."

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It's the same story here in Oz. Everyone's an expert down at Bethel. Not an iota of tertiary education, except for their Legal Dept wiz. Computer department? Bound by protocol. But they're so important. After all, the guy who can replace a harddrive has "the power"! It's the same all through the place. Pettyness reigns.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit