Annual Convention/Keynote Speaker; Parallels between Today and Noah's day?

by pseudoxristos 6 Replies latest jw friends

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Has anyone heard what is being discussed at the convention this year?

I noticed that an article from the Amarillo Globe mentions the keynote speaker's talk is about the parallels between the World of Noah and the World today.

I'm wondering how much emphasis is put on the 120 years?

pseudo

"A belief is not true because it is useful."
    -- Henri-Frédéric Amiel (1821-81), Swiss philosopher, poet

http://www.amarillonet.com/stories/060504/new_jehovah.shtml

Web-posted Saturday, June 5, 2004
    Jehovah's Witnesses gather in Amarillo

By Paige Dickerson
    [email protected]
    The Amarillo Globe-News

Alta Tinsley went to her first Jehovah's Witnesses convention 62 years ago in Phoenix. She never stopped.
    Six decades later, she brought her daughter, Maudean Moore, and her granddaughter, Melanie Reynolds, to the annual convention at the Amarillo Civic Center. The three generations met up from New York and Lubbock at the Amarillo convention this weekend at the Civic Center.

"I belonged to another church, and I learned nothing there. Then I started to hear about the paradise on Earth and I thought that was the best news I'd heard, so I pursued it," Tinsley said.

Even though she encountered some resistance, Tinsley continued to attend conventions and services with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

"There was nothing so severe that it outweighed the benefits," Tinsley said.

Tinsley took her daughter to the conventions from a young age and at 7 years old, Moore was baptized.

"Being the good mother she was, she instilled biblical principles in me," Moore said. "I had a normal childhood in the sense of going to school. There is not only a better hope for the future, but there is less involvement in the dangerous things that are around."

Reynolds, Tinsley's granddaughter, works directly for the Jehovah's Witnesses headquarters in Brooklyn, N.Y., in the purchasing department. The primary function of the headquarters is to train and send out missionaries all over the world.

"I did examine some other religions, but I knew this way of life was best," Reynolds said. "The conferences are the highlight of our year. We are always wondering what biblical prophecy talks are going on."

One of the thing all three generations appreciate about the Jehovah's Witnesses is the trustworthiness of everyone at the conventions.

"They said in New York there were lots of policemen assigned, but they said they had nothing to do. They were all riding around on horses, and the big excitement of the day was to give the kids rides around," Moore said.

Reynolds also emphasized the dedication to obedience that the members have.

"It's not that we're not individual people or personalities, but we do try very hard because we have a great love for Jehovah and a respect for the theocracy that is set up," Reynolds said. "If we were at a Yankees' game, they (the audience) would be so disrespectful, but for us we do (what the announcer says) because it is part of our worship."

This year's convention will draw an estimated 4,500 people for lessons on a "Walk with God."

Keynote speaker Virgil Lowery spoke on the parallels between the world of Noah and the world today. The convention continues through Sunday with an emphasis on the role of religion in a world of changing values.

Today's events will include a baptism service at 11:50 a.m. in the Civic Center Coliseum. A drama, "They Bore Thorough Witness to the Good News,"will be at 11:10 a.m. Sunday in the coliseum.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I'm wondering how much emphasis is put on the 120 years? and hence 2034 - I am a little cynical these days -but if 2034 is promoted and it has the desired effect of raising meeting attendance, contributions and pioneering - -you watch the WTBTS will be happy even though they know it to be a pack of lies- they will NOT learn their lesson from the 1975 fiasco. However, this time we have the internet so I do not think even the most loyal dubbie will fall for it this time around

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

The spirits of JWism

".... I started to hear about the paradise on Earth and I thought that was the best news I'd heard, so I pursued it," Tinsley said.

1. Show me the money.
    "There was nothing so severe that it outweighed the benefits," Tinsley said.

2. I can earn the dream.

• new light
    new light
    "I had a normal childhood in the sense of going to school.

That settles it! Jehovah's Witnesses treat their children just like any all-American parent would. Gimme a break!

That same reasoning would have Jeffrey Dahmer saying "I am a completely normal person, in the sense that I eat food."

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

The more things change in the borg the more they stay the same! ! ! ALERT ! ! Summer 1990 district conventions Watchtower worldwide mandate.((( This is the same assembly day the Watchtower issued dire warnings not to watch the Simpson's T.V. show )))

ALERT ! ! DON'T HAVE KIDS ! ! ALERT ! ! The Watchtower repeals Almighty God's garden of Eden pro creation mandate.Anyone,besides me?, there to hear that WT$'s dire directive.

The 'proclamation' was,reiterated in the 'meat and potatoes' pages of the Watchtower magazine,that fall.What a hysteria that started...

I payed $400.00 dollars to pay for my younger brothers vasectomy,(i already had mine ).The 'papal bull' directive alluded to our building of the 'spiritual ark of Noah',and how the adult builders[ Noah and his sons and daughters in law ] didn't board the boat with babies...So because Armageddon is 'just so close' we don't wanna be making babies.

They said the SAME thing when i was conceived in 1957.Hey, now i am a guy without maternal wants,but stop and think for a second how many mom wannabes,who where close to menopause,canceled that chance forever, because of some old fart holed up in the WT$ ivory tower,who had male 'mental PAUSE'.

OH,in 1925 "detox" Joe "jack daniels" Rutherford proclaimed the William Miller's mutated date fixing,MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE!!

When 'detox' Joe had to recant he said,(i read it in the watchtower myself) " I'VE MADE AN ASS OF MYSELF. ""

NO SHIT ASS'WHOLE'!!! My background,I was born to pioneer parents in 1957 the same year as the paradise lost to paradise regained book. My parents were reviled for getting knocked up and having a baby,because Armageddon was coming a minute! I was baptized at the tender age of 11 years old in 1967.I had to hurry up and get consecrated to Jehovah, 1967 was the year the, life everlasting in the freedom of the son's of God book ( Freddy Franz's masterpiece) was released and had the timetable of the world's end in 1975. Undaunted Danny www.DannyHaszard.com Apostate with Attitude

• Odrade
    Odrade
    "I did examine some other religions, but I knew this way of life was best," Reynolds said

How did she "examine other religions???" By reading the Search book?

O

• blondie
    blondie
    The primary function of the headquarters is to train and send out missionaries all over the world.

What was the number who graduated from Gilead last year? There are 2 classes every year. Are they suggesting that the facilities at Walkill, Patterson, and Brooklyn primary fucntion is to train and send out missionaries and only manage to send out 96 a year?!!!

114th Graduating Class of Gilead

Number of students: 48

115th Graduating Class of Gilead

Number of students: 48

Gilead School is at Patterson, a very large, expensive facility, definitely not dedicated to educating and sending out only 96 individuals a year.

No, the vast complex is dedicated to publishing and distributing Watchtower publications.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit