Tough time for butterflys (photo)

by Black Sheep 7 Replies latest social physical

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It is a tough time for the monarchs at the moment. They have hatched too late to migrate and the weather is crap.

alt

I brought this one inside to recover while a storm front passes. It is decorating a curtain.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Wow, that is a great pic! Cool!

• orbison11
    orbison11

ah, beautiful, i have 3 monarch's in my back yard. yellow they are

max, maxine and maxuel,,i am hoping they will migrate here every year, although i have to read up on them, they might only have a year's lifespan:)

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Great Close-up picture !

• talesin
    talesin

That's really sad, Black Sheep. I hope there are not too many lost.

We have the Monarch here as well. The story of their migration has always filled me with a sense of wonder, since I was a child.

They are really hard to paint, though, their markings are so detailed and specific! Love butterflies ... they are majik.

Thanks for the lovely pic.

tal

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

There have been a lot lost while hatching in high winds and rain, but not as many as have been eaten by the local predators while still caterpillars.

It is still very windy and I haven't let this one outside yet.

I gave it a feed of honey and water on my finger this afternoon.

alt

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Very kind & gentle !

• talesin
    talesin

How lovely! I'm glad these wonderful life-forms have at least folks like all of us who care for them, you especially, as we can see. :D

hmm, I'm thinking you may enjoy a couple of books I've read on hummingbirds. They are by a woman in New York, who 'fell into' being a caretaker for them many years ago.

She rescued one that lived in her backyard, then people in the community who knew her, began referring others who needed a home for injured/left behind hummingbirds. Her home is now like a sanctuary for them, and she has written a couple of books with pics of the 'flight-gifted' members of their household and lots of anecdotes about their personalities, and personal stories. I'll see if I can find it. :)

I'll post the reference here.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit