Pagan Cross vs. Christian Cross

by Gerard 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gerard
    Gerard
    6. Cross: Jesus did not die on a cross. He died on a pole, or a stake. The Greek word translated "cross" in many Bibles meant just one piece of timber. The symbol of the cross comes from ancient false religions. The cross was not used or worshiped by the early Christians. Therefore, do you think it would be right to use a cross in worship?—Deuteronomy 7:26; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

Wondering if early Christians used the symbol of the cross......

http://www.pallasart.com/ikons/early.html

After the death and resurrection of Christ the new faith spread rapidly throughout the Roman world and the Near East. The stories of the Apostles and early witnesses who had seen and known Christ Himself were eagerly listened to by converts to the new faith. Naturally, people who had seen Christ asked for descriptions of His appearance. At some point people began to create and distribute paintings of Christ. This also included his disciples and the really martyrs of the Christian faith. [...]We can reasonably suppose that these early paintings of Christ and His saints were, at first, simply looked upon as realistic depictions of people; much like the casual way we look at photographs today.

The ikon shown at left is painted in wax colors by means of heated spatulas. His robes are painted in Imperial Purple, which was reserved for the Emperor alone. His hand is raised in blessing and he holds a gold-covered gospels encrusted with gemstones. The ikon probably dates from the reign of the Emperor Justinian (527 - 565) and may be a dedicatory gift from him to the Monastery of St. Catherine, which he had built around 548. The ikon in the center is of the Virgin accompanied by Saints Theodore and George. Behind them angels gaze upon the blessing hand of God emerging from heaven. All of these three ikons are striking in that they strive to depict real people in naturalistic settings; they have all the characteristics of genuine portraits.

Theotokos, Christ, Sts. Theodore and George St. Peter the ApostleSt. Catherine's Monastery, Sinai Constantinople
    mid-6th - early 7th centuries

Also, when I visited Turkey, I remember seeing the symbol of the cross in early Christian churches. The place is called Capadoccia (Land of Christian Churches) :

At the bottom of these stone formations and cones, churches, cathedrals, homes and storage facilities were hewn out. During the early ages of Christianity, this place was a refuge for first Christians of Asia Minor. More recently, the area was a safe-haven for the Christians, under the threat of Muslim Arabs, between 7th and 13th centuries. There are hundreds of churches carved on rock formations in the area.
    It is also known that St. Paul established one of the first Christian colonies in this region with his followers.

I remember a carved cross on the walls of a cave-church, I was told it was one of the earliest of christianity.

However, the cross symbol existed centuries before Christianity, which demonstrates that Christianity may be a bastardization of paganism. For example:

Here are some photos of the "ankh", an ancient Egyptian cross:

So, it is granted that the cross may have been used before cristianity but the WT's statement above reads:

"The cross was not used or worshiped by the early Christians",

which we see, it is a false statement.

What do you think?

Gerard

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

When the watchtower mean early christains it can be missleading they mean aroung 50ish years after Jesus death. So the are kinda right. They keep the term ambigous so you can't find "proof". If they set a date for christian cross use a person could try to disporve it, Also I think "early" christians used a fish.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    Also I think "early" christians used a fish.

Right.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

DANNY'S LAUNDROMAT; Washing Machine coin wash my .50 cents

Customer, Watchtower dirty linen; The Christian cross/stake. Which was it? Which device was Jesus impaled on?Was it an upright single stake or was it the traditional cross with a horizontal crossbeam? Does it really matter?Cross-Eyed

The Watchtower's insistence on the single stake.Finds it's origin in the transliteration of the NT. Greek word stauros, which does ring like stake doesn't it?The WT$ also contends further, that the pagan Romans would not have 'wasted' a second piece of scarce wood on a condemned criminal.

The WT$ also cites the 'pagan cross icon' as preceding Christianity by centuries. Granted, but here's the kicker. The upright stake(sacred pole) is also a pagan phallic,symbol.Furthermore,it is abundantly clear from historical accounts that the Romans impaled their victims on crosses. Debunked to the speed wash. ..

Very nice work Gerard if my post is in error,it may because it's hard to keep up with WT$ dogmatic flux flip-flops

• TRUTH SEEKER
    TRUTH SEEKER

I want to thank you for this post. I was thinking about this just recently and all of my previous upbringing brainwashing was all I could remember. I appreciate getting some clarity on the cross issue.

Jill

• what_is_truth_7
    what_is_truth_7

I'm pretty sure the bible has a description somewhere of the cross which should clear this up...Il look when I'm home

P.s. PRETTY PICTURES! THANKS!

• barry
    barry

Ive seen the symbol of a dove used in christianity in the catacums of Rome the guide said this symbol was used before the cross.

I dont see why the symbol has to be the oldest the WT has the symbol of a watch tower and I dont know if that was ever used by early christians. Other churches have there own modern symbols sometimes with the cross some without , I dont think it realy matters.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

One of the most comprehensive articles on the Cross that I have come across is in the Catholic Encyclopedia. It is long, but well worth the read.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04517a.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit