Methodist Bible

by keeshah 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• keeshah
    keeshah

I was shopping at the thrift store today and ran across a Methodist Bible dated 1901 and 1929. I opened it up and saw "Jehovah" all thru it. Does anyone know what to make of this? I thought JWs were the only ones that put the name in there so many times.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

It could possibly be the Darby Translation. There are many translations that use the word Jehovah. Here's one:

Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible

Abbreviation: SNB
    Released:1976
    Contents:Old Testament, New Testament
    Source Used:Missionary Dispensary Bible Research (1976)

This is a revision of the Rotherham Version. Since many people have been misinformed concerning the true name of the Most High and His Son, this revised version's aim is to bring to light a clearer and deeper understanding of this wonderful Name which has been suppressed for many years. This version concerns the True Name and Titles of the Creator and His Son. The Name of the Heavenly Father or His Son is given in capital letters. The pronoun standing for the Name begins with a capital. It is not the first version to bring out the Name and the Titles of the Creator and His Son.

The Hebrew reader could see YHWH as reverently transcribed by the Hebrew copyist, but was instructed not to pronounce it. However, he could utter a less sacred name, e.g., Adonay, Elohim, and El. When LORD and GOD are printed with small capitals, they stand for the Name. Otherwise, they do not.

The Name was suppressed because of the fear that it is too holy to be pronounced. This fear sprang from interpretations of Exodus 20: 7 and Leviticus 24: 16. This version is restoring the Name because of an interpretation of Isaiah 52: 6.

The King James Version forms of paragraphing and center references are used.

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

There were many uses for the name Jehovah and it carried different meanings for different verses and what it's intended use was. Here is some examples.

Yahweh Lord (Jehovah)

Jehovah-jireh the lord will provide

Jehovah-rapha the lord that heals

Jehovah-mekoddishkem The lord who santicfies you

Jehovah-shalom the Lord of peace

Jehovah-sabaoth the lord of hosts

Jehovah-raah the lord my shepherd

Jehovah-tsidkenu the Lord our righteousness

Jehovah-shammah the lord is there

Elohim the creator

ElOhim the everlasting God

Jehovah means many different things.

agape love, Gold Morning

• hooberus
    hooberus

It probably is an "American Standard Version" (1901) I believe this was the American version of the English revised version (1881).

The watchtower even published some of these (no changes to text).

It can be a useful Bible for witnessing to JW's, because it uses the name Jehovah and doesn't conceal the deity of Jesus Christ as much as the NWT.

• keeshah
    keeshah

Thanks guys for the input. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit