Info: IP address

by Morgan 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Morgan
    Morgan

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone here familiar with IP addresses? I have a ?

I visit a couple different sites. In my firewall log, I get the same IP address for these sites.

After I clear all entries in the log, I will visit one site, and the name comes up for the other, with the same IP. It doesn't even log the name of the site I visited, or its IP.

Once, it named the site I was at, with the IP of the other. But, usually, the log says I visited the other site with its IP address. And, I didn't go to that site.

Any ideas? Are they ran by the same person? Same computer? I haven't a clue. Maybe, it doesn't mean anything.

Thanks in advance. Morgan

• Valis
    Valis

Morgan...I think you are seeing your IP. It sounds like your log is reporting what IP you logged in to that site with. No worries.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Morgan
    Morgan

Hi Valis,

I don't think so. The log gives my IP address as well.

Also, I didn't go to the other site, after I cleared out the log. But, yet the site is in the log. (boy, did that sound goofy!)

Morgan

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I am computer clog. But when i installed the firewall on my pc, it wouldnt let me surf and got rid of my toolbar. Now I cant type in address.

• Simon
    Simon

You may be going through a proxy server.

• Morgan
    Morgan

Hi Simon,

You need to explain. What is a proxy server? And, how does my using one explain the same IP address for these 2 sites?

I thought each computer was assigned an IP. Of course, if you use 'dial up' the IP will change. The IP does not change for these sites. They stay the same. And, they are the same IP address. It's not my IP. I have been using a firewall for years. I just happened to stumble across this info today. Both sites were down for the same amount of time.Same error message. This made me ? what was up. I then looked into the IP addresses.

Let me ask this....How do you block a persons IP? If the IP is different each time, or the server has the same address, how can a site block someones IP, so they can't open the site?

I am STUPID when it comes to these technical questions, (like that's a news flash). All I know is there are 2 sites that are using the same IP address. Is that possible?

The one site I know has blocked individuals from viewing their site. How do they do this? Isn't it by blocking their IP address?

I know these questions might seem "bizzare'. But, I want to know if these sites are 'one and the same'

Thanks, Morgan

• Simon
    Simon

It could also be that both sites are on the same server and use the same IP !

• Morgan
    Morgan

Thanks Simon,

Soooo, more than 1 computer can have the same IP? Fair enough! I did not know this.Thanks again!

Morgan

• johnny_was_good
    johnny_was_good

You can also track an IP-adress via this website

http://whatismyipaddress.net/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit