Has anybody ever noticed this?

by truthbeliever 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthbeliever
    truthbeliever

Has Anybody ever noticed that the New World Translation uses the term Heart Shaped Cakes at 2 Samuel 13:6,8?Was The Valentine shape around in those days?Or is this the result of short order cooks translating the Bible?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

No, but I remember reading the scripture about dung cakes. Perhaps the two are related? Perhaps they were referring to heart-shaped dung cakes? Perhaps this means that the WTS loves their bullshit?

• kibizzle
    kibizzle

Nos your hilarious!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The Hebrew word there translated as "heart shaped cakes" has uncertain etymology with some experts suggesting "hollow" as the root word. This is reasonable because then as now a common way to make fast fry bread is to role the dough into a length and then drop into the fat in a ring (some perhaps falling into a modern heart shape tho this is not implied)that is easy to extract when cooked. The same root word is used for the word "heart" perhaps because the heart is located in the center hollow of a man. This why the NWT words it as it does. They are clearly attributing too great a significance to the etymology. The heart shape we are familiar with is a Middle Ages creation.(2000 years too late)

In other contexts cakes were prepared for sacrificial offerings to the Ashera (possibly YHWH's wife) but a different word is used to identify the cakes as having a special purpose.

I ammended this post for clarification.

• truthbeliever
    truthbeliever

Thanks,Peaceful Pete,I didnt think it was a really big deal,but it was just one of those things that make you go hum....God Bless

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit