Did WT ever compare itself to vine.

by aniron 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aniron
    aniron

Did the Watchtower organisation ever compare it self to the vine of John 15 or similar.

• zev
    zev

i hope not! just as john 15:1 said about me:

(John 15:1-10) 15 ?I am the true VINE , and my Father is the cultivator. 2 Every branch in me not bearing fruit he takes away, and every one bearing fruit he cleans, that it may bear more fruit. 3 YOU are already clean because of the word that I have spoken to YOU. 4 Remain in union with me, and I in union with YOU. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it remains in the VINE , in the same way neither can YOU, unless YOU remain in union with me. 5 I am the VINE , YOU are the branches. He that remains in union with me, and I in union with him, this one bears much fruit; because apart from me YOU can do nothing at all.

• Corvin
    Corvin

For what it's worth . . .

w90 8/15 p. 8 Enjoying an Intimate Relationship ***

Jesus?

Life and Ministry

Enjoying

an Intimate Relationship

FOLLOWING the memorial meal, Jesus has been encouraging his apostles with an informal heart-to-heart talk. It may be past midnight. So Jesus urges: "Get up, let us go from here." However, before they leave, Jesus, moved by his love for them, continues speaking, providing a motivating illustration.

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the cultivator," he begins. The Great Cultivator, Jehovah God, planted this symbolic vine when he anointed Jesus with holy spirit at his baptism in the fall of 29 C.E. But Jesus goes on to show that the vine symbolizes more than just him, observing:

"Every branch in me not bearing fruit he takes away, and every one bearing fruit he cleans, that it may bear more fruit. . . . Just as the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it remains in the vine, in the same way neither can you, unless you remain in union with me. I am the vine, you are the branches."

At Pentecost, 51 days later, the apostles and others become branches of the vine when holy spirit is poured out on them. Eventually, 144,000 persons become branches of the figurative grapevine. Along with the vine stem, Jesus Christ, these make up a symbolic vine that produces the fruits of God?s Kingdom

Apparently it is held that Jesus is the vine and the 144,000 are supposedly the branches.

Corvin

• Spooner
    Spooner

well there was some mistranslations with that, what it really states is...

15:1
    I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
    15:2
    Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
    15:3
    Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
    15:4
    Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
    15:5
    I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
    15:6
    If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
    15:7
    If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
    15:8
    Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
    15:9
    As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
    15:10
    If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit