Can Anyone Help Me With.....

by Dolllie 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Dolllie
    Dolllie

some Bible references to "Babylonian King Belshazzar"? I have always been curious if there are ANY references in the Bible to his physical apperance. "Rembrandt" did a famous religious painting of him, and ever since then when you see a picture of him used for something/anything he always looks just like the Rembrandt painting. There is even a children's cartoon with a character called "Belshazzar" who looks like the Rembrandt painting. Did he just "make up a face for him" & it caught on, or was that what he really looked like?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Belshazzar is only mentioned in Daniel and in historical documents. I strongly doubt there is any information on his physical appearance. There is none for Jesus, and everyone seems to know what Jesus looked like. That's how it usually works...one look becomes popular and catches on. For instance, take a look at Columbus. We all think we know what he looked like, right? Now read this article:

Looks Are Deceiving: The Portraits of Christopher Columbus
    http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/lester/writings/admiral.html

I think this is right up your alley.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hey, I know what Jesus looks like! I say his picture at the local Morman Church where I donated blood a couple weeks ago. Pretty long wavy blond hair and penetrating blue eyes..Plus I saw a sign on a Baptist Church not long ago that said "Jesus Shaves". They gotta be right! They been to seminary...

carmel of the "I believe" klass

• Dolllie
    Dolllie

But we do know what some Biblical figures looked like! They have a description of "Noha"s" physical apperance in the Bible, & a couple of others(there is a couple of references to race also)

So if you do not draw them looking the way they are described, your art work would be a bit off???

I will take a look at the book of Daniel. Thanks for the tip!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The only time when bible stories include a desciption of the physical appearance is when it is essential to the plot or charactor developement. Like we know Repunzel had long blonde hair and old man Christmas has a white beard. Even when the stories incorporate historical people or places the description of them need not be anymore than the guess or creation of the story teller.

• Dolllie
    Dolllie

You have to make the pictures correctly!

For example I was recently reading Acts 10:1-30. There is a mention of "race". "....Peter approaches a man of another race".

I have seen examples of pictures of this story, animals coming down on a sheet, and everyone in the picture with the same look. Cornelius, or the "assembled people" need to look different than Peter, in some way.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Dollie... I can't recall any reference to Noah's physical appearance... what scripture did you have in mind?

Regarding Ac 10:28... the term "another race", used by the NWT (and also Darby and Young's), is not a very precise translation. The most common translation for the Greek allofulos is "another nation".

Peter was Jewish and Cornelius was Roman, so there were undoubtedly ethnic differences between them. But there is nothing in the text to indicate that they were of different "races" in the modern usage of the term.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We are lucky to have any surviving text that describes him.

http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/belshazzar.html

Dan 5:6 Darby Then the king's countenance was changed, and his thoughts troubled him, and the joints of his loins were loosed, and his knees smote one against another.

• Farkel
    Farkel

dollie,

: some Bible references to "Babylonian King Belshazzar"? I have always been curious if there are ANY references in the Bible to his physical apperance.

He was five foot two and dressed in drag every chance he got. He had one blue eye and one brown eye. He had a nose made out of tin. He had a parrot on his shoulder who could use it's beak to write perfect cuneiform stuff. The parrot never misspelled anything.

These are all lies, but I can make up lies as well as the next liar who can also make up lies about Belshazzar. No one gives a RAT!

What does what he looked like a zillion years ago have to do with anything that is important to us all these years later? You should know that your question meant to say "appearance", not "apperance." I'm sure you know this. May you have peace with your future wacko nutball queries.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit