Hey, on school I must have a talk about Jesus!!

by Cadaver 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Cadaver
    Cadaver

I and a friend of mine must have I talk on school (for filosophy) about 'Jesus'

Anyone have idea's about how I can do this talk?

Cad.

• blondie
    blondie

Let me play school overseer here, do you have a theme for this talk so you can narrow down the points. People have written 500 page books on Jesus, several people have. How long is this talk? That will determine how many main points you can cover adequately.

Blondie

• Carmel
    Carmel

Whoa! Sounds like the senior english class assignment I had in school. My essay was entitled "Jesse, Son of Tod". Some underclassmen circulated it about the school and I was brought into the principal's office and given a stern talkin to for my sacriligeous tome.. buttttt I got an A mr principal....

carmel of the "satire club"

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Well if it's for philosophy class, you're gonna have to do it on his teachings and not so much on the historical aspect and such. Whatever you do, speak from the heart and do your research so you can speak with authority, remember a big part of it is delivery too. And given it's for philosophy class, you don't have to take the official Christian position if that's not your take on it, I would imagine you have a lot of lattitude.

• Cadaver
  • Cadaver
    Cadaver

It must be about the teachings of him and what kind of things he sad, not very much about were he lived and stuff, but most important things he sad. The talk should be about 7 to 13 min.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny
    "Jesse, Son of Tod".

I don't suppose you still have that after all these years, carmel? I would dearly love to see it.

• greven
    greven

I would do it about how his ethical teachings were not so special considering others had come to the same conclusions earlier. Or you can show how revolutionary they were giving the prevailing othodox jewish system. Maybe you can compare him with Plato... Do a search on philosophy + Jesus and see what turns up, I bet its alot.

Greven

• jgnat
    jgnat

With only seven minutes, I would just pick one of the things Jesus talked about. How about his speeches about how to treat children (treasures), compared to the cultural treatment of children in his day (property and retirement plan)?

http://www.pbs.org/empires/romans/life/

Matthew 18:3-6

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

They have philosophy courses in high school now? Wow.

Depends on the required length of the paper as to how you approach it, but I'd probably focus on one of the main points of the course and do the paper on how Jesus relates to that. Analyzing His ethical teachings wouldn't seem to be too hard, if you sat down and thought about it, but you could also focus on what He taught about Himself and about God as it relates to various theories of ultimate reality. Perhaps you could analyze the philosophical presuppositions of those with whom Jesus spoke, although that would be somewhat limited, since Jesus only went to the Jews - nonetheless, there were several different schools of thought among the Jews at that time. If you want a challenge, go at it from the epistemological angle - for example, what was Jesus' source of knowledge, and what is our source of knowledge of His teachings? Another possible approach would be Jesus' use of logic - how He developed arguments, for example, how He used parables to make His point.

I did a paper for my college Intro Philosophy course about Paul at the Areogapus, and I basically covered two areas - the philosophical positions that were likely represented in Paul's audience and the logic that Paul used to develop his argument. Too bad you're not doing Paul, I could give you some more specific ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit