Can a person get "undisfellowshipped"

by RMoeller 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RMoeller
    RMoeller

Hi, I am a new member here. I was baptized at 16 and df'd at 18. Can a person undisfellowship themselves and then disassociate themselves? Has anybody here ever done that? How did your family feel about it?

Thank you,

RMoeller

• Brummie
    Brummie

Hi R, you would have to be reinstated before you could disassociate yourself, this means having to go to all meetings, sit at the back and show the elders you are repentant and want to get back in the org. After anything between 6 moths to 2 years, they will then reinstate you, then you can disassociate. Sound like a waste of time doesnt it? May as well make the break now and enjoy life.

Welcome aboard.

Brummie

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Hi RM...... to answer you question, the term you are looking for is called "Re-instated". A person begins attending the meetings again, still without association with the congregation. After you have established a habit of regular meeting attendance you can approach the elders and tell them you are now repentant and want to be re-instated in to the congregation. There are numerous meetings with them to establish your repentance. Then you have to write a letter asking to be reinstated. They have private meetings and ultimately request it from Bethel. The whole process is very time consuming, and depending on the elders can take anywhere from 6 months to several years. After you are formerly "re-instated" in to the congregation then YES you can write a letter of Disassociation. Of course the whole thing would really be a waste of time and energy on these people if you dont want to be associated with them anyway.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

ha ha ha I knew Brummie and I were on the same page. Next time I'll just let HIM do all teh talking. He seems to say more in less words :)

• Brummie
    Brummie
    He seems to say more in less words :)

NoOoo

• TowerWatch
    TowerWatch

Disfellowshipped, Disassociated, Marked, Reproof it?s all just a word game. My advice "Let them play their silly games" life is so much better when you don?t let their games affect you.

TowerWatch

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

RM,

I agree with Towerwatch. It is all a game. Though elders and the rest will tell you with a straight face that it is a matter of life and death thay you return to the KH.

It does say that in the Bible, right? Make it to your meetings, go out in field service, rat out other pubs who may be breaking the rules, turn in your field service time (for fear of looking spiritually weak), no facial hair if you are a male, or finger nails no longer than 1/8 of an inch if a female, don't talk to apostates or those who are in the world, etc, etc, etc, etc forever... Oops, maybe that is just the New World Translation that says all of that crap... Or maybe it is just the crap that they make up in Crooklyn for their WT sales (WTBTS is a publishing company, afterall. AND they have an unpaid work force (slaves) to print and sell their wares from door to door)

If you are fine with where you are right now, you don't need to worry about what they think of you. They will think what they think regardless of what you say or do...There is no way to win their game, as they set it up so that the 'Org always has the last say and the ability to change the rules (cross reference - see "New Light").

Going through a reinstatement marathon gives THEM the power to exert control over your life. Why bother?

EyeDrEvil

• blondie
    blondie

Why do you want to change from DF to DA? Your JW family will still be forbidden to have any contact with you.

DA's are viewed as being more dangerous spiritually by the WTS. DF's are viewed mostly as ones overcome by fleshly desires.

Your status means nothing to us here. So keep posting RMoeller. How old are you now?

Blondie (old enough)

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Everyone else succinctly said everything that needs to be said. What's the point in becoming re-instated if your ultimate goal is to disassociate yourself? You are essentially the same thing in their eyes. But if your goal is to exit the organization on your terms, not theirs, then I understand.

Anyway, I'd like to extend a hearty welcome as well. Like blondie said, JW status means nothing here. We welcome everyone with open arms.

• Maverick
    Maverick

All good points! As for how you are viewed by Witless family, keep this in mind. It is better to be DF'd than DA'd. A person who is DF'd is cast out because the WTS feels they sinned against God and this can be forgiven with some suffering. A person who DA's himself has rejected, not God but, the WTS and this is the greater sin. This sin of disloyalty to the WTS is much harder to get passed.

God forgives, the WTS does not! They even keep files on dead members! You are better off than you realize. Maverick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit