Building a new computer

by dustyb 9 Replies latest jw friends

• dustyb
    dustyb

hey. i'm building a new computer now, so if you guys want to suggest what i put in it, or else donate parts/money i'd be glad to accept. right now this is what i'm thinkin about

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz w/ HT
    A7N8X Deluxe Asus Motherboard
    1 Gig DDR400 (pc3200) ram
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    200 Gig SATA HD
    430 Watt Power Supply

I haven't decided which case i want yet. but if you have suggestions just post =D i think that's a pretty good gaming machine for what i want to do. needa get back into that.

• zev
    zev

do you ut2k4?

• eljefe
    eljefe

I highly recommend Lian Li cases. Here is one on NewEgg.com.

Since you are going to use a Radeon, you will need to disipate a lot of heat. Lian Li's have a lot of fans and do it well.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I built a new PC for Mrs. O a few months ago using the following components:

Antec SLK3700AMB ATX Super Midtower Case with 350W Power Supply
    Asus 52 X 24 X 52 CDReWriter
    Intel D875PBZLK Motherboard
    Intel Pentium P4 3.0 GHz 800MHZ FSB 512k
    1 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
    GeforceFX 5200 AGP 128MB DDR Video Card

She seems very happy with it, as it performs flawlessly even when running several memory intensive applications at the same time.

• rem
    rem

You gonna put FreeBSD on that bad boy? :)

rem

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

FreeBSD? That's what aspires to be like Debian, right?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

By the way, I like Antec cases and definitely recommend New Egg as well.

• seawolf
    seawolf

You'd either have to get a different CPU or motherboard since the A7N8X is a nforce2 AMD Athlon motherboard and won't work with a pentium 4. :)

• Poztate
    Poztate
    A7N8X Deluxe Asus Motherboard

This board is for a Athlon CPU.You are going to have to change your mind on your MB or your CPU.

I have had no problems with Athlon although sometimes they seem to need a little more tweaking than the Intel boards.

Good luck to you.

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

Dusty,

Fair warning SATA can be a SOB to boot from, for WinXP installs at least, moreso if you don't have a floppy drive.

And of course the important questions is what are you going to use it for? With a 9800 pro my guess is gaming. What games you play?

You are getting a fairly beefy video card, make sure your monitor can support it. My roommate has 9800XT and his monitor supports max resolution of only 1280x1024, which is a waste.

The spec looks right to me, I would add a DVD/R+-W though. Very handy for "backuping up" and stuff.

I would recommend the Athlon 64 or FX(if you gots lots of cash) series from AMD over a pentium, since they run 32 stuff fast now and can do 64 bit when the production version is released. Some games like Far Cry and a few others are even optimized for 64 bit supposedly.

if you don't know, one of the best places to get prices online is http://www.pricewatch.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit