Naive

by shera 9 Replies latest jw friends

• shera
    shera

This has been something I have been thinking of for awhile.I was so naive when I started to study and I was even naive when I was in for a few yrs.

I suppose I could be calling myself gullible too,but you know,when I was a JW,I had no idea what the "society" was,no idea who was teaching these beliefs.I look back at it and I realize how I just listened to what was thrown at me.People told me it was the "truth",so it had to be the truth.

When I was a child,I went to bible studies and Sunday's school,but I never really went to church to "learn"the bible.So basically never had any biblical knowledge,before I began to study.

When I was studing and even when I was a JW,I always felt something wasnot right,and that used to bother me and depress me.Never feeling I was good enough for God.I didnot want to get baptized when I did,I felt something was wrong but I went ahead just incase.......

Kinda ticks me off,that I never learned the background and history of this religion...but of course I wouldnot be here and wouldnot have met many great people as I have and hope to meet more!

It wasn't until,I started to search and started to read the bible on my own,that I realized how wrong this religion is.It was like "WOW"........with some anger mixed in there too with the "WOWS".

Now I believe,the bible is not 100% authentic,but there is a loving God and I believe in Jesus and he died for all people! I don't believe Jesus died for a religion and it followers.

Anyone who is thinking of becoming a JW,learn and read,and learn history.

The only thing good about this religion is leaving and making wonderful friends.

*hugs* and I love you all.

Heather

(hope I made sense here?)

• SuperMommy
    SuperMommy

I am right there with you.

I should have known better. I had been in church my entire life until college. I learned the Bible. I was in church 4-5 times a week learning and socializing with Christians. I stopped going when two of the leaders in the youth group started getting under my skin. One kicked me out of a function and one took me behind closed doors and yelled at me. I don't blame them for my descision to stop going to church when I needed it most (the college years). After all of this 4 kids and no regular church support...I was reading the Bible now and again on my own. I was ripe for the JW's to come. I was home alone watching my babies most of the day. I was craving anything to challenge my mind...and, boy, did they!

I am glad I came here and realized that my studies weren't leading me to truth before I took it to far.

• shera
    shera

Yes,Glad your here too!

Some people may find this corny,but around 2 yrs ago,I prayed and I prayed to learn what the truth was.I was brought to these sites and I feel these sites lead me to the truth about the JWS.

The JW's donot have the truth!!!!!

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

awww...Shera...you are an example, imo...the type that we need to learn from most. You have always struck me as an honest, sweet, real person and I've always, always wanted to know what would make someone want to join this religion in the first place. (I was raised in it from birth, as you know.) I'm so looking forward to meeting you in person! I hope that I'll see you at the bbq that Special K is hosting later this summer.

And I've gotta say, if that is really you in your avatar...hoo mama! You are one smokin' chickie! :)

• shera
    shera

Thats moi! Thanks hon and I'm looking forward to meeting you this summer as well! Whoo hoo!!!!

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Shera,

Don?t beat yourself up too much. There are plenty of those who remain gullible and naïve that choose to stay in. We all are at different places in our lives when deceit comes calling. The fact that you have been able to reevaluate and change your map shows the ability to grow through life?s situations. This isn?t being naïve and gullible, this is being self-assured, the way I see it. It's a fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, kinda thing.

Being able to continuously reassess your beliefs and to change them when you recognize they are incorrect (even when they are comfortable) shows a strong constitution.

Never stop reevaluating who you and what you believe to be true.

Steve

• shera
    shera

Thanks Steve for your kind reply!

• Special K
    Special K

Hi shera

I agree with the poster who said, "Don't beat yourself up too much"

But again, I, like you have looked back and wondered why didn't it all start sounding like "shite" to me sooner than it did.

The WTBTS has a very persuasive message. I can see why my mother was sucked into their "solve all your problems" kind of message.

THey do say and do all the right things and kind of get people to let their questioning brain shut off. I guess it's kind of like the blind with faith coming to your door to lead you blind in the faith.

The barbecue is still on we just all need to agree on the date. Love to see ya'...shera.

Since all these get togthers seem to have a name.. I think I saw Chilifest and something else for sassy and simplesallys get together.

Got any name suggestions for OURS.. How about are you comin to the "Chickin' Lickin"? I wonder if that gives a clue to what we're barbecuing?....

sincerely

Special K

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Shera and Others: This post has given me courage to talk to a young friend who has been pulled back into the KingDum hall by "friends". Her family is no longer associated but dysfunctional in their own way, thus I have developed a friendship w. her, in a mother/daughter sort of way. I have been trying to decide how to approach her as I know the JW's is all she has known and I need courage to speak up to her w/out appearing to be attacking. she's been away 4 years and is only 16 now. I do think I can talk with her but any help is appreciated!

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Shera, you are not alone.

You were in "for a few years"? I was in for 12 1/2 years. I guess that makes me a bigger naive stupid. I've been thinking of that these days, too. What was I thinking? I wish I can go back to that time and smack my 21 year-old head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit