Going back to school...

by CeriseRose 6 Replies latest jw friends

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Well, I've started back to University, which had gotten a little sidelined by my JW experience. About 15 years ago I'd done a few semesters of college, but really didn't know what I wanted to do in life. I went to business college, entered the workforce, and right about the time I was going to go back to school, was brought into the JWs by a coworker. All educational goals were sidelined as I awaited the 'new system' where I could do what I wanted (yadda yadda yadda).

A few years ago I decided I wanted to upgrade my career skills. So I was taking some night classes and weekend classes (boy, were those a subject of controversy, my one Saturday a month for 6 months where I finished a Technical Writing certificate and how awful it was that I did it...*rolls eyes*), and last October decided that I wanted to go for a Bachelor's degree. I started with one course (web based correspondence), and have spent the last 6 months slogging it out through a demanding work schedule, leaving the JWs and all the related emotional turmoil, being out of work, and doubting my own ability to do this at this point in my life. (Okay not just doubting my ability, but firmly convinced several times that I could not do this, was completely insane and lacked the staying power to do it.)

I got my grade about a week ago. An A! I'm so happy, and so proud of myself. The other good news I got was all my credits from 15 years ago have been applied to the degree program...so now I'm actually 1/4 of the way to my degree!

I know I'm blowing my own horn, and I feel some reflex shame at my lack of humility (*sigh*), but I really am pleased. I worked really hard and it paid off. And I also wanted to post in case there's anyone else who's made it out with less of an education than they want...it -is- possible to do it...and I hope that if you really want to, you do!

And now I have 2 more courses starting this week.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Good for you Rose! Keep up the good work.

Bradley

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Sounds like fun, that is what I am trying to do.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Go ahead and toot your horn CR! You earned the right! Sorry though that you are still suffering from JWitis, thinking you are'nt "humble" enough! (((((((CR)))))).

carm

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

How cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to think about going back to school myself. The JWs made me give up my dream of a bachelor's degree back in the early 80s because "why would anyone need any more schooling other than a HS diploma since the New System is soooooo close?" Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to look into universities in my area.

DY

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Bravo!

The best thing about an education is that once you've got it, it's yours to keep. Can't be repossessed, even if you happen to default on your college loans (though I did send my payment in today).

I went back to school for my Bachelor's at the age of 31...I remember telling one of my friends that I'd be 35 by the time I finished (as if that were a bad thing, but at the time, it seemed old). She told me that, if I didn't die, I was going to be 35 anyway, so I might as well have a degree. And was she ever right.

Graduate degrees followed, and though I'm not working in my field, and still paying off student loans, I don't regret a bit of it.

Go for it.

Jankyn

• reboot
    reboot

Thats wonderful!!!!!!!!!

clever you...... education's never wasted and makes you feel so good..

I couldnt go to uni because of family commitments...but i'm just finishing my 2 year access course then my degree proper starts in September and i'm really excited about it.I think getting a degree now is a good time ot do it; the full time 'kids' we're working with are so less motivated and although we're part time we're weeks ahead of them...maybe if you'd done it sooner you would'nt have got such a good mark,,,good luck with your new courses.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit