Green Bible....... Follow up

by outbutnotdown 4 Replies latest jw friends

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

When I originally brought up the topic about the 1961 green Bible I wanted to write more about it but my computer went screwy and submitted only what I had typed in up to that point.

The one really whacked thing in the old green Bible was, IMO, what someone mentioned about Genesis in the last topic. I don't have one anymore..... (the society, I believe, is trying to hide their stupidity and systematically tried to get rid of them) but I do remember plain as day that, in that green Bible, Genesis' time period that it covered was 46,026 B.C.E to 1657 B.C.E. (the ones after that just said: "In the beginning to 1657 B.C.E.) This date was arrived at of course because of their belief in the 7,000 year creative days....... which meant that 1975 was 6,000 years into the seventh day and that Jesus' return for his 1,000 year reign would 'very likely coincide with this last 1,000 years of the seventh day.'.... (WTBTS' Life Everlasting book, 1966)

So, 1975 was arrived at by THEIR VERY OWN CRAZY NOTION OF THE UNIVERSE BEING CREATED IN 42,000 YEARS.

What befuddles me is this: Why are they so spineless and yet arrogant as well to suggest that people who stopped believing in their crazy religion are such BAD people when all they were doing was trusting the WTBTS' OWN BELIEFS? It is SO hypocritical.......... WTBTS to doubters: "believe us completely....... oops... ok..... that didn't happen... what do you mean that you are questioning us now on our evidently being SO wrong?..... you can't do that...... now we are going to kick you out and tell the other people to shun you...... "

If the Jehovah's Witness organization were a person they would be diagnosed with borderline personality disorder... (for not being able to admit when they make a mistake) and would be subjected to psychiatric care. Yet they are still in existence. Makes me think that we just may not be the most intelligent creatures on earth after all. teehee

Has anybody had any interesting discussions with any current JW's about that? I know I have, but it would be fun to hear of others.

Brad

• Ciara
    Ciara

Can you believe I actually still have one of those butt-ugly green bibles?

Don't know why I haven't tossed the damn thing in the trash yet.

• VM44
    VM44

I have read that the green bible cannot be used by the person giving the public talk. Is this official WT policy? or is it a rule that some elders have made up on their own? --VM44

P.S. I always liked the dinosaur inside the cover of the Green Bible.

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

i was just thinking that too VM44!!!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I have read that the green bible cannot be used by the person giving the public talk.

I've heard something similar about the French translation of the NWT. Apparently there is an "older" translation that the "good" JWs don't use. I wonder what embarrassing mistakes were in there...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit