What was the point of Jesus "examining the churches" back in the day?

by M.J. 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M.J.
    M.J.

I may have this WTS doctrine all wrong, so correct me if that's the case.

My understanding of it is this: back in 1914 Jesus returned to claim back an earthly kingdom which had since been destroyed since the state of Isreal fell to Babylon. However, when he got down here Jesus didn't quite immediately set up a new kingdom (or "organization", or "channel", or "theocracy", or "faithful discreet slave"), since he had to look over all the churches first to see which one was closest to being the "true" church. Finally after 5 years of much deliberation and examination, in 1919 he settled on the little sect formerly led by Pastor Russell and subsequently led by Judge Rutherford.

Did I get this right? If so, I have questions about this:

1. If this particular organization, the WTS, was the one registered corporation that was talked about so much in the prophecies of Revelation, Daniel, etc., wouldn't Jesus already have recognized this group from the start, already having been so familiar with "their work"?

2. If the "Bible Students" of the time were already composed wholly of the "Bride of Christ" (144,000), and the other churches were totally devoid of members of this elite class, why didn't Christ recognize those who already were his "bride" for 5 years?

3. How is it that the "Kingdom" is said to have been re-established in 1914 through the WTS, when it really wasn't until 1919?

Or, let me know just how badly I have jumbled it all up.

• garybuss
    garybuss

In 1914 Jesus took his seat on his throne and began an inspection of the religions. This inspection took 3 1/2 years and Jesus rejected all religions. Instead of a religion he picked a book publishing business located in the United States in 1918 that published religious literature written by an attorney.

The date of 1918 was later changed to 1919.

It really doesn't matter since the Governing Body never claimed to be inspired, only divinely directed, and any who do not accept them as representing "that slave" are shunned.

GaryB

• Sirona
    Sirona

Yes. When he inspected all religions he chose the group that was run by the man who published lies and deceptions which hurt people (e.g. no vaccinations etc.) and who believed in the occult and pagan ideas. This person strayed from the scriptures more than most other religionists - 99% of his writing was his own opinion and nothing whatsoever to do with the actual bible.

Supposedly Jesus could see his "potential" because he was so willing to learn. Unfortunately he didn't learn because the organisation he created was subsequently guilty of countless abuse and deaths - amassing much bloodguilt in its short life and promising to do so in the years to come.

In short, the whole doctrine is a way for JWs to feel like they're part of an elite group who are approved by Jesus. The whole idea is total crap, dreamt up by nasty old men.

Sirona

• gumby
    gumby
    My understanding of it is this: back in 1914 Jesus returned to claim back an earthly kingdom which had since been destroyed since the state of Isreal fell to Babylon.

Not earthly, but heavenly. Since his death, the new covenant replaced temple worship which was destroyed in 70 A.D.

As for the 1919 date being the year god found his spotless people.......read about their history in 1919 and the types of things they believed and did. All the things they believed at that time....the time of Jesus supposed choosing of them as his people, would today be considered Apostate teachings and you would be disfellowshipped for it. Funny how Jesus STILL chose them when they believed such wrongfull things. What a glorious start for the Newborn king!

• Justin
    Justin

Of course it doesn't make sense, but let me have a try untangling the mess.

As others have stated, in 1914 the Kingdom was established in heaven. In 1918, Jesus came to the "temple" for judgment. In 1919 the remnant was released from Babylon the Great.

For many years, the WT emphasized 1919 rather than 1918, but I don't think one date ever replaced the other. The coming to the "temple" is a mysterious way of saying that the anointed class experienced some kind of judgment. In the case of those already dead, it meant their invisible resurrection in the spirit realm that year. In the case of the living, Rutherford and other officers were imprisoned on charges that were later lifted, and this was considered the supreme point of a general persecution which served to discipline the remant for retaining certain Babylonish practices. (It is true, as pointed out by critics, that those practices continued for many years thereafter, such as celebrating Christmas, using the cross, etc.) It was also in 1918 that many Bible Students who were dissatisfied with Rutherford's presidency began forming their own groups, and the Society took a dim view of this. It was understood that these had been separated from the faithful remnant. All these factors together constituted the "temple" judgment - the "temple" being the anointed class.

In 1919 Rutherford and others were released from prison. This was considered to be a release from Babylon, inasmuch as it was believed that the clergy had incited the government to persecute the remnant. While it was the political element that directly enforced the captivity, Babylon was considered to have pulled the strings. The release of the President and officers represented the freeing of the entire remnant at that time. It is confusing because, when the WT today talks about individuals being freed from Babylon, it means that people are sending resignation letters to their churches in order to become JWs. But the historical and prophetic release of 1919 refers to a different kind of captivity - a physical captivity.

Now what about Jesus inspecting the churches? This is something that would have occurred during the temple judgment of 1918, and the selection of the channel would have been made with the release of Rutherford in 1919. So here the WT is giving the temple judgment a wider application. It is as if Jesus needed to consider the entire "wheat field" of Christendom rather than just the small group of Bible Students. However, Russell had taught that the harvest had already been taking place since 1874, so one would think that all the "wheat" had already been gathered into the storehouse by 1918. So yes, the wider application of the temple judgment does contradict other teaches which have been promulgated.

So that's my take on it. None of these matters are explained together and in one place so that any systematic harmony can be done on them.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Others have done a fine job of answering your questions in this thread. I'll just add my two cents worth about that Jesus had to actually go through an "inspection" of all the religions. That's sort like God calling out to locate Adam and Eve, as if he needed their help to find them, or sending Lot to find and count the number of righteous people in Sodom. Doh! As if God needs men to help him out!

Same thing with Jesus being made to appear so clueless about which religion was true that he had to "audit" all of them to find the best one among them: it's all bullshit!

Farkel

• gumby
    gumby
    That's sort like God calling out to locate Adam and Eve, as if he needed their help to find them, or sending Lot to find and count the number of righteous people in Sodom. Doh! As if God needs men to help him out!

Same thing with Jesus being made to appear so clueless about which religion was true that he had to "audit" all of them to find the best one among them: it's all bullshit!

LMAO! I'm so damn glad you have a sick mind Farkmeister baby! What a point of view I had never considered! How true. As if God or Jesus would need some time to consider these things. God already knew according to REAL dub teachings. He always knows the outcome in advance. The '10 wise virgins dub story, that went out to meet their master with enough oil', was a comedy routine of Fred Franz that can't be surpassed.

I was also thinking of how hearless the dubs are toward others and how pridefull their stance is on this matter. I am sure that in 1919, there were millions of sincere, honest, trying to do their best, christians who loved the Lord as much or more than the dubs ever did, yet "god cast them off as unworthy to try to worship him". All these god fearing people got spit on, worthy of his wrath at armageddon, because some gray bearded, Miracle wheat sellin, wife cheatin pastor named Russell, hadn't gotten his "true message" to all the christians in the world.....so they all lose for lack of true knowlege.

Jesus!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

D o they actually tell people that, or is it like a vaccination type of thing that they prefer to keep to themselves.

What a strawman argument - I suppose if you need to win a competition you'd better make one up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone ever hear that Benny Hinn recording where he says, "The Lord is in one of their videos - can't remember which one it is now, but yeah, he was there, we've got it on video - just not sure of which date, we've got so many videos".

Millions watch him.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

A further inconsistency is this:

The resurrected Jesus Christ spoke these words to his disciples, according to the NWT "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth." (Matthew 28:18)

In my understanding, the word "all" encompasses everything, nothing being excluded. So, then, we are faced with a Christ who had all heavenly and earthly authority and yet, after 2,000 years, he still had to make an inspection to see which group was going to be his "faithful slave".

It sure doesn't make sense, does it?

Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit