Why I don't discuss Scripture or doctrine

by Maverick 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Maverick
    Maverick

My fathers mother was a JW all of her life and she die two years ago at the age of 97. My mother and father divorced when I was three and my mother remarried when I was 5. Turns out my mother and grandmother hated each other. So my mother raised us kids religion free. She figured we could work out the God issues on our own. It hurt her alot when I became a dud. Happily she is relieved I finally got past it.

But because I had no prior knowlegde of religion everything I "know" is JW based and therefore tainted. Aside from some very basic facts like the order of the books, their names and writers I treat as suspect everything I was taught as a JW. I read some of the scriptural debates here and have to shake my head. And as a rule I don't worry about the spiritual aspect of life anymore. I figure most everyone who has ever lived has had it wrong anyway. I'd rather think nothing about these matters than get sucked into some useless debate no one can prove this side of the grave.

My goal is to leave this place better than I found it. To have been an asset to creation in some small way. That's enough for me, the rest seems pointless. Maverick

• Special K
    Special K

To leave this place better than you found it is always a good goal Maverick....

Either when we leave this world

or when we leave this forum.

sincerely

Special K

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

Hey Maverick, I'm in basically the same boat as you on religion/Scripture. I really only know what JWs taught and like you, can't really trust any of it now. I decided that one day I *might* go and do some research, but not until enough of the WTS message has faded for me to be sure I can be objective about studying/reading the Bible.

I think it's okay to admit that you don't have the answers, or that you don't even want the answers (well maybe because that's where I am, and think I'm okay too...hehe). And living your life with a goal to making the world a better place is admirable.

Two thumbs up from me! (FWIW)

• boa
    boa

maverick you said it. I'm pretty much in the same boat, and kinda like the ride so far! Wifee and I want to leave the place perhaps a wee bit better than we arrived (life) and don't really seek 'answers' or 'higher purpose' than the life we have now......

its funny, reading coc and isocf.....I tend to move as quickly as possible through the doctrinal sections as it isn't really interesting to me anymore....that is ray's choice but not my at this point....still both a great read though

boa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit