Paradoxal nature of change...

by one_ugly_time 4 Replies latest jw friends

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

I was just noticing...

I want to spend more time with my children...
    so I end up spending less time while I look for a job that will allow me more time.

I want a more consistent daily life so that I can go back to school...
    so life because chaos while the schedules/events/activities are rearranged to support this.

I want better, deeper, more fulfilling friendships in my life...
    so I end up with no one to turn to momentarily as I cultivate this change.

We want violence to stop in the world...
    so we create more violence destroying the perpetrators before that is possible.

That is why I find goal setting and reflection so important for myself. Many times, I get 1/2 through a change and feel like I've taken 10 steps backward and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong... just as often, I'm not doing anything wrong, just forgetting momentarily the burden I placed upon myself or others in order to make the change possible...

Can you think of other changes you have tried to make that seem to take you in the wrong direction?

ugly

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

To quote Homer Simpson: "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."

But to put this in perspective, I have to quote Yoda of Star Wars fame: "Do or no do, there is no try." Goals are fine, but since everything is subject to change even they might change. (how many of us want to be a servant/pioneer now?)

You do what you can. Not a very exciting thought, but I think it's worth pointing out that each step counts and stands on it's own, if you get my drift.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Doing and Wanting. Two different things.

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks Ugly. Your post showed many ironies. But I don't think it's all like that.

For instance, I want to get in better shape. I immediately start getting the results I want.

I want to keep a tidier house.

But here's a couple in line with yours: remodeling a house (what a mess!), putting in a garden, etc.

Good idea.

Pat

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dipping into the subconscious, i find that most times we do get what we want.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit