Another week long quick build goes up...

by Elsewhere 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.news-bulletin.com/news/40433-05-01-04.html

Church built in old-fashioned, barn-raising way

Haley Wachdorf News-Bulletin Staff Writer; hwachdorf@news-bulletin.com

Belen A week ago, the property at 1114 S. Main Street was an empty lot, but within a week, the Belen congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses plans to be holding services in their brand-new Kingdom Hall built by hundreds of volunteers from all over the state.

The volunteers converged on the property early in the week, many arriving in their personal recreational vehicles, prepared to eat, sleep and work on the property until the work is done. A large tent for a crew of food servers was set up adjacent to a traveling kitchen trailer, and from it, three hot meals each day are served to the volunteers.

Jim Black of the Belen congregation said the sudden activity on the property has caused a lot of curiosity in the community, and some people have stopped by to ask questions.

"One guy said 'Oh, I was hoping you were building a fast food restaurant," Black said, laughing. "I said, 'No, this is a church.'"

Black said the new church is a milestone for the group, which outgrew its 18-year home on Sixth Street and began the process of buying and preparing the new property in the last two years. Jehovah's Witness congregations raise the money for construction materials from donations within the group, but most of the work of construction is done by volunteers from within the Jehovah's Witness community.

"Most of them are craftsmen who do this work for a living," he said. "But there are also a lot of volunteers who come, and they get some training. ... These people take off from their regular work and ministry for the short period of time to come and do this."

Since Kingdom Halls are usually built according to one of a few similar plans, the volunteers make short work of each phase of the building, dividing into teams to accomplish tasks ranging from safety to framing walls and placing roof trusses quickly.

Black said that although it's a lot of work, it's also an energizing experience to work with so many people from around New Mexico, Colorado and Texas.

"It's a family atmosphere," he said. "They enjoy coming and working because it's part of their worship, part of their sacred service. They know they're pleasing God, and they also have a lot of fun seeing everyone again."

On Thursday, the Belen build was progressing smoothly. Some difficulty was caused by high winds, but Eddie Martinez, chairman of the local building committee, said the congregation could not have asked for more help from city leaders and people in Belen.

"We have just been overwhelmed with how they have bent over backwards to help us," he said.

Black said he believes the church will be a good addition to the South Main Street area, and said he thinks the sight of so many people working together is a good message for the community.

"I just never get tired of seeing this," he said. "And we get some feedback indicating that people see it, too. Someone was doing a call on a business person here in the community yesterday and they just wrote out a check and said here, contribute this towards your project. ... I keep telling people, just keep your eye on this spot, because, in five days, you're going to see a really big difference."

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Undaunted Danny's Letter to the editor regarding:"quick builds" http://dannyhaszard.com/bangornews.htm

• Maverick
    Maverick

I always hated the quick builds. There is no greater frustration than having a retired grocery clerk, who can't read blue prints, insist you let the plumbers put the fixtures and toilets in place before you tile the walls and floor! Maverick

• Sherri
    Sherri

Danny, thought your letter was great. Short, to the point, and covering in an easy-to-understand manner just what it is that makes the dubs such a repugnant organisation. Was it printed? I hope so.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

If the most of the money comes from member donations, do they own the title on the property and building? Also, I have heard that they take loans out from the WTS and then have to repay with interest in order to build these things. If that's true, and the WTS owns the title, it's a nice little earner isn't it? No wonder they have over 200 billion in assets.

• five_crew
    five_crew

I remember the quick build in my old congregation. It was pouring rain. We spent most of our time in tents trying to stay dry.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

The Letter to the Editor: http://dannyhaszard.com/bangornews.htm Bangor Daily News My home town Bangor Maine USA.Was not printed. The last two Quick Builds that I worked at;Rockland Massachusetts USA,was dog-eat-dog competitive. There were some 'brothers' who were eaten up with jealousy because I was a carpenter by trade.They thought i might get a higher rating with the 'sisters'. alt Only in the "new world society"......
    [ Are these the "meek who will inherit the earth"?]

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Zany Our Kingdom Hall had a sound proof back room made with acoustic suppression materials.It's where the Elders would hold their confidential meetings.We dubbed it the "Rape Room."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit