Asking for money on the doors.

by Jonty Parkin 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Jonty Parkin
    Jonty Parkin

While I was still a faithful slave of The Organisation in the UK, a change came into effect that must have broken their corperate righteous heart!

Because of some law to do with registered charities and solicited contributions, the WTS in Britain were forced to make all of their publications (including videos and cassettes) available at no cost. Cool! This meant that I no longer had to shell out good money on regurgitated tripe that I could not sell on place, and that I could now swell out my theocratic library with all those nice "luxury items", such as the videos and cassettes, not to mention an extra copy of the Insight volumes!

Of course, reminders from The Society abounded that this did not mean that the literature was now "free". We were warmly invited to increase our contributions commensurate with the literature we were now receiving "at no cost". Furthermore, any, ahem, "unsolicited donations" obtained for the literature in the field, should be put directly into the contribution box, not into our pockets.

I always hated asking for money on the doors. It just didn't seem right. I used to just give the bloody stuff away anyway. But the funny thing was, even though I was no longer duty bound to solicit the obligatory 30 pence "contribution", I still couldn't give the bloody stuff away!

What about other countries today? Did they still have to pay for this shite?

Jonty

• Paradise Found
    Paradise Found

Hi jonty

I remember a dear old lady that had no idea what the hell I was doing at the door. She took the magazine and gave a tenner(A calossal sum for a pensioner living in a very poor area)

I confess I took the money and an even worse confession it went in the collection box. Instead I should have purchased her 10 lottery tickets with the money then if her numbers came up ...Well that would be a story!!

• EyeDrEvil
    EyeDrEvil

Jonty,

All materials are "by donation arrangement only" in the US. I hear it was something to do with the WTS not wanting to pay sales tax on all the manure we were supposed to be handing out. This "new arrangement" was put into place a few years ago as best as I can remember.... You know how hard it is to keep up with "new light!"

Drones/clones/ pubs were supposed to make a contribution to the Society commensurate to the literature they took that month. (Most of which in my house sat on a bookshelf and gathered dust). And any contributions were SUPPOSED to be put into the contribution box as well...... hmmmmmmmm. Isn't that called "double-dipping?"

Totally f*@$-ed up. I feel badly now for the little old widows who must be living on a very tight budget, having to put out their meager means to an obscenely rich Organization. Hurts my stomach just thinking about it. Probably the same sisters who never had kids because "Judge" Rutherford told them not to back in the 20s and 30s, because the end was "anyday now."

eyedrevil

• shamus
    shamus

In canada we went through the same thing. Oh, we offer this bullshit at no cost, however, we do accept donations (tm) and would gladly accept them to benefit our world wide preaching work, bla bl a blalkajba lknd kadzxcnknd;lkj dals;fj xl

I never, ever, not once asked for money. Not once.

• blondie
    blondie

Pre-1990, post 1990, no matter how you slice it, you were asking for money from the householder. I hated it so would not ask and ate the cost pre-1990; post-1990 was great because I neither donated at the KH for the publications nor solicited any at the door.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit