Where would we be now????

by beaker 6 Replies latest jw friends

• beaker
    beaker

The WTS has always maintained that given "the issue of universal sovereignty" makind has been allowed to prove whether he can sucessfully rule himself. That's why we have so much pain and suffering in the world. But has mankind been given a fair chance to prove that he can run things without god?

Genesis 11:6 & 7 says " After that Jehovah said: "Look! They are one people and there is one language for them all, and this is what they start to do. Why, now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be unattainable for them. 7 Come now! Let us go down and there confuse their language that they may not listen to one another?s language"

So at Babel all the people started speaking in different languages. If however mankind was all speaking the one language, what might they have attained? Would we have had the industrial revolution 3000 years ago? Would everyone speaking the same language result in world peace? Would we have a world government that equally distributes food for all?

Seems to me that mankind got shafted around 2200BC.

• Corvin
    Corvin

Hmm . . . as much as I hate to agree . . . Your idea is essentually thought provoking and intriguing.

Corvin

• Ex Dub MS
    Ex Dub MS

So which individual nation of over say, a million people distributes food evenly now? Wnich groups of people speaking the same language all live in the same nation? Which people of the same nation are not divided by race, religion and political ideology, if not other things? I don't see how the same language would help that along.

Whether or not the JWs have every stitch of the Bible right, I think God still had the right idea. He wanted to slow the rate at which man would screw everything up.

• patio34
    patio34

Someone asked me when I was a new dub if mankind ever had a real chance at it, since (as the WT has pointed out) no matter how sincere a leader may be, they die in 70-80 years. I never really found a good answer to that.

So, when death entered the picture, according to the Bible and the WT, how realistic was their chance at successful governance? This is in addition to the confusion of the languages.

Actually, humans have been compared to being God's children, and rightly so, imo, since He created them. How reasonable would it be for a human father to say to his children, at the 1st disobedience, you're on your own. Then LET a superpowerful, super-evil, enemy have free license to influence them and harm them? And let some members of the family torture, maim, and do horrible things to the other children?

In my opinion, it doesn't hold up. If a manufacturer had a 99% fail rate on its product, the failure would be with the manufacturer, not the product.

Just my 2 cents,

Pat

• catlady
    catlady

I think that God threw a spanner in the works there - it doesn't say much for the Universal Sovereignty theory, an inability to communicate was certainly not allowing for 'free will'! His creations were cooperating but not in way in which he had anticipated or approved of so he stopped them from being able to talk. It is like a child suddenly changing the rules in the middle of the game.

I don't know if it would solve all the world problems if we all did speak the same language but it would be a step in the right direction. Aren't most relationship breakdowns (and by relationship I mean everything from person-to-person to nation-to-nation) caused by communication failures?

• Golf
    Golf

Adam said to Jah, "Its the women YOU gave me." Gen 3:12

Guest 77

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I always wondered about that when I was a kid, what would have happened if god hadn't interfered at the tower of babel. It seems to me now that god went to a lot of trouble for nothing, people would have just gone off and developed different languages immediately again anyway. I mean, in Yorkshire people who live at opposite ends of a valley have different vocabularies. I'm guessing it's just another one of those stories made up by the people who wrote the bible to try and explain why there were different languages.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit