Setting a good example for your JW fam...

by AuSet 5 Replies latest jw friends

• AuSet
    AuSet

This came up in a conversation the other day, and I'm wondering if any of you have ever thought about this.

Now that I'm an apostate, I've come to realize that that term is not synonymous with being a total screw-up. In other words, I haven't really succumbed to all of those "bad" things that I was told would happen to me if I ever left the truth. In fact, I live a pretty normal, happy, almost boring sometimes life.

My JW family call me constantly for advice on their life problems, and I feel that compared to my JW siblings, I am pretty much the most level headed, stable one. This is not to say I haven't had my problems and struggles, and my drama, but overall I would say I feel extremely happy and for the most part, recovered.

Sometimes, especially when I'm around my JW family, I feel this overriding sense of happiness, satisfaction, and freedom, that is almost shining out of my body. I have three younger siblings still living at home who can see this, I think, and see that it conflicts with what they've been told about people who don't go to the hall anymore. I feel it is one of the best ways I can help them without setting off their apostate radar. They know I will love them unconditionally no matter what they choose to be, and that if they ever come out into the "world", they have a good example to follow about how to live authentically.

• xLaurax
    xLaurax

Hehe, your probably right. You don't seem upset and to be honest you seem to be happier out of the organisation that in. It seems that your family look up to you.

Keep up the good work

xLaurax

• new light
    new light
    This came up in a conversation the other day, and I'm wondering if any of you have ever thought about this.

Yeah, I think about it all the time. It seems more important for me to set a good example now than when I was a dub. There is such a stereotype that people fall into an abyss of sin and misery when they leave the dubs. JW's also expect an ex to preach some new twisted religion and to try to undermine their faith. I engage in none of these, at least for now. Half of my co-workers are JW's, as is my entire extended family, so I'm always thinking about making us ex's look better. The best way to prove the JW's wrong is to live a better life out than you ever did in.

• blondie
    blondie

Living well is the best revenge.

This sort of applies. You are proving that people can find happiness and a stable, productive life apart from the WTS. There are many non-JWs who are proving that every day, it is just that the WTS paints all of them with the same negative brush.

Keep it up, auset. I don't know if you can but you might ask them why they come to you for help instead of the elders.

Blondie (once asked if she missed the meetings and "the brothers", said "No, I feel so much better and healthier spiritually not going." )

• exjdub
    exjdub

Blondie:

Blondie (once asked if she missed the meetings and "the brothers", said "No, I feel so much better and healthier spiritually not going." )

LMAO! What could they say to that? I picture them with their mouths opening and closing, trying to say something profound, like a fish gasping for air! I always enjoy the "you are there" moments that you write about in your posts, they always make me laugh.

exjdub

• blondie
    blondie

Elder body

That is exactly what happened. They were expecting me to say I missed them. I then gave them concrete examples of why their words of friendship did not match their actions to illustrate why.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit