wasted life part 2

by littlemike 9 Replies latest jw friends

• littlemike
    littlemike

Thank for all the messages a couple of days ago. Its frighening how we all accpeted it as the truth because they told us it was. How many Witnesses who were born into it like me ever did any research to really find out if it was what it claimed. Any views?

• kls
    kls

My husband and i weren't born into it but were recruited in. I left after a few years just knowing it sounded wrong,on the other hand my husband says he has researched what the jws are all about ( not on the internet) and swears they are the real thing. What research he is talking about i don't know ,maybe reading reading bubble gum wrappers.

• anglise
    anglise

Hi again Mike (you do post late at night)

We came in as adults but bought up our children in it for nearly 20 years)

AFAIK they didnt research but just went along. We all exited when they where in their late teens, early 20's so who knows what they might have done.

Most that I know of who are B&B adult dubs seem unable to even see a need to question or research. That I can understand when they know they could lose their family and friends. The most dangerous thing is the great majority would die for a religion whose beliefs they dont even fully understand (other than NO BLOOD) or could explain and defend to an outsider.

Anglise

• littlemike
    littlemike

thanks master member i do post late at night as i dont need a lot of sleep and their all in bed. I agree they dont understand it which is frightening. I leant crisis of conscience last week to somebody who i was a friend with 20 years ago and she stopped going a year ago because she knew something was wrong. Her immediated reaction is she doesnt understand a lot of it. as an elder i understood and related to every word

• kls
    kls

Little mike ,, it seems by your wording in your posts you are very troubled. In time it will get better you will never forget and it will always hurt in some way but it does get better. Give it some time and let yourself start over as a changed person with new goals. Remember you were born into this ,it was not your choosing.

• Ciara
    Ciara

I was born into the witnesses and lived as one for 19 years. Anytime I asked questions as a kid I got my head bit off for not having enough faith. Thankfully the harsh answers to my questions only made me more curoious (though I kept it to myself after that). I was finally able to get free at 21. Although I enjoy my life now, sometimes I do feel as though I had a wasted childhood.

• dh
    dh

i was also born into it up until about age 18-19, my mother converted not long before i was born so it was full on, we were never going to grow to be adults in 'this system'... anyway we grew up and i began to realise that i had serious issues not only with what they taught, but with the bible itself, and god, i knew it (the wtbs) was not truth, so i left to find answers... incidentally i only found more questions.

oh well.

• nowisee
    nowisee

i was born into it too. said my first word out in service. had a bag of watchtowers put around my neck and pushed out on the street for streetwork as soon as i could walk. life was never-ending meetings, service. i pioneered for some years. between that studying for meetings, trying to live a married life, and have some friends, who had time to research the veracity of the wts? so many of us took it at face value and trusted our parents.

• cem62
    cem62

Hello Mike,

I agree with you. My mother started studying when I was 5 or 6 and was baptized when I was six. I never knew or had opportunity to know anything different. Just always raised to believe this was the only and absolute truth.

I was in it for 30 long years, very devout and finally got wise and got involved with someone on the "outside" and never went back. My mother is still very much devoted to it and wrote me a letter about a year and a half ago saying she could no longer associate with me. It was very hurtful.

• happehanna
    happehanna

Hi Mike

I keep telling myself it wasn't a complete waste but not as it could of been.

I was a third generation JW and left at the tender age of 43. I was married to an elder for twenty of those and am the daughter of one too. Pioneered the whole hog!

I had my doubts along the years but just seemed to go with the flow. As a woman you didn't get to ask many questions talk about a blind faith. Was told on many occasions I had a bad attitude for what? Questioning?

I had my beautiful children whilst a JW and would like to think that for awhile it was a fairly good family life.

When you lose something like your religion, a spouse etc there has to be massive fallout, inevitable, the grieving period takes time.

But life as a JW was harder than some lives but it wasn't a complete waste. I hope not anyway

take care Mike on your journey

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit