Jehovah's Witnesses Challenge Police

by DevonMcBride 5 Replies latest jw friends

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

http://www.townonline.com/boxford/news/local_regional/tri_newttjehovahcbb04282004.htm

Jehovah's Witnesses challenge police By Barbara R. Bodengraven / [email protected]
    Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Topsfield may have a bylaw requiring door-to-door solicitors to register with police, but it does not apply to religious groups distributing faith-based materials, said Topsfield Chief of Police Dan O'Shea.

Earlier this month, the issue came under scrutiny when the town's Board of Selectmen received a letter of complaint from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York. The Society, which represents the interests of Jehovah's Witnesses, stated in their letter that Topsfield police officers had advised their ministers to register with the police department before engaging in public ministry.

"On March 19, Officer Gary Hayward responded to a call about a suspicious vehicle turning in and out of private driveways on Haverhill Road," said Chief O'Shea in reference to the incident.

According to O'Shea, after determining that the vehicle belonged to Jehovah's Witnesses, Officer Hayward advised the ministers that they should check in with the police department - something Topsfield police officers direct all marketing solicitors to do as a matter of course.

"It's in everyone's best interest if we know who the solicitors are and what neighborhood they plan to be in in advance," said O'Shea. "The public is not going to know who's approaching their homes, and we invariably receive quite a few calls about suspicious people and vehicles. Generally, most solicitors understand this and are more than willing to supply us with information about their business."

But, O'Shea also said that with regard to those engaged in public ministry, the protocol is different.

"If the door-to-door activity is religiously oriented, the ministers are not required to check in with the police department," he said. "Although it would help us a great deal so that when residents do call in - as they always do - we are in a better position to assure them that we know who is in their neighborhood.

"I intend to review the different types of scenarios and situations with my staff and help them identify what may be happening before they approach a group," O'Shea continued. "Sometimes you can't engage in conversation with [itinerant] ministers without the risk of being misunderstood."

Adopted 40 years ago, the town's bylaw requiring solicitors to register with the police department is, according to Selectman Joe Iarocci, "a precautionary kind of thing. It was not meant to stymie the Fuller Brush man or girl scouts going door to door selling cookies."

Many communities across the country have similar ordinances regarding solicitation, which have proven to be unconstitutional with regard to itinerant evangelical ministers, according to the letter from Watchtower representatives. On the official Web site of the Jehovah's Witnesses, (watchtower.org) the group's ministers are commissioned to "bear witness concerning Jehovah, his Godship and his purposes" and feel it is their calling to engage others in their scripture-based beliefs.

"Topsfield does not have any restrictions or prohibitions of any kind regarding public ministry," said O'Shea.

"I responded to the [Watchtower] letter and assured them that Topsfield prides itself on welcoming outsiders to the town," said Iarocci.

• proandcon
    proandcon

I used to witness in the Topsfield area...this is an affluent town just north of Boston...car group always stopped at the police station before we went to the neighborhoods...never any issue at all...never stopped once on the streets...if this is "caesar's law" and it' s reasonable, what's the big deal about telling the police that you will be driving in the area? no one in that area ever came into the congo from the door to door work in all the years I was there...people rarely even answered their doors...like most other places...is this just the WTS trying to stir up the pot so they can again play the "persecution" card? Like the R&F JW's can deal with a cop when he approaches them...most can't at all...

• natalienu
    natalienu

Bloody witnesses.............who do they think they are?!!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Just chalk it up to their persecution complex mentality-how dare the city officials even ask such a horrendous thing of those hardworking privileged slaves of Jehboodie! Guess there are a lot of Drama Queens at the WBTS after all.....

Maybe they should revise the law to "Shoot to kill" if they do not register, bet that would bring down attendance at the meetings!

• Room 215
    Room 215

I can understand that requiring JWs, or any other door-to-door evangeliser to register may be regarded as one step onto a ``slippery slope" by libertarians, perhaps rightly; but why can't JWs simply ``go the extra mile" and show sensitivity to the community's concerns about strangers showing up unnannounced and univited on the townspeople's doors?

After all, aren't JWs the first to proclaim that conditions``out there in the world" are worse than ever, with crime and immorality at levels unprecedented in human history anbd that the public is ``fainting out of fear" in fulfilment of end-times prophecy? What's wrong then, with a little voluntary reassurance to the public that they mean no harm but simply want to share good news even if the law doesn't require them to do it?

It does seem that it's a grandstand ploy to drape themselves in the apostles' mantle and ``obey God as ruler rather than men." Their motives are as transaparent as glass.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Gotta Love it! COPs don't like JW's at all.I know from the hundred of times i've had to make pit stops at the station house to account for our door to door activites.

The case in Ohio USA where the WT$ won their recent court victory was classic WT$ operations.

The mighty WT$ empire went up aganist a small town with limited legal resources.Bullys plain and simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit