March in Washington

by Emma 8 Replies latest social current

• Emma
    Emma

My daughter participated in the March for Womens Lives this weekend. I'm proud of her and wish I could have attended with her. She and two of her friends traveled together and were volunteers for the event. It was great to see so many young women participating.

I know I would have been an activist for causes I believed in if I hadn't been raised in the "truth." Think of all the time and energy that could have made a difference but was wasted knocking on doors and at the kh. I'm so grateful that my kids can make their own choices.

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

Emma~~

I'm so glad your daughter was able to go to the March! I was there also, and it was the most amazing, empowering, incredible time I have ever had. We marched for ourselves, our mothers, our daughters, for every woman. It was very powerful.

There was a woman who took the stage, and shared the story of her mother's death. Her mother died in 1964 after a botched coathanger abortion. She had a picture of her mother's body, naked and on the table, with a bloody towel beneath her. She said for many, many years she could not look at that without breaking down, but it has become her reason for fighting. Never again, should women be forced into back allies. Very, very powerful.

There were 1,150,000 people standing strong for choice, and it was something I hope will still stand true in November. Emma, although you couldn't be with us physically, I'm glad you were with us in spirit! :)

~~Adrienne~~

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Emma and Adrienne,

That's interesting that your daughter, Emma, and you Adrienne went to the women's march. A friend of mine from work went to it.

I don't have a solid opinion on abortion, per se, but don't think the government should make the choice.

Pat

• Emma
    Emma

Adrienne,

Thank you! I also went to the web site for the March for Women's lives and read experiences similar to what you wrote about. There are also comments from young men, which I found very moving.

My grandmother was progressive for her generation. She was for women's rights including the right for birth control information and the right to choose. I'm sure she was bitterly disappointed to see her grandaughters brought up as jw's. She died before knowing about our "liberation" from the wts. My daughter has her independent genes!

Pat,

I'm with you that the choice should be individual. It involves reproductive freedom and the right to medical care. One of the experiences given at the march was of a woman who was forceably sterilized. Thanks for your comment.

Emma

• patio34
    patio34

Karen Hughes, presidential adviser, likened the Pro-Choice marchers with terrorists:

• Realist
    Realist

question...the german news said that abortion is legal until month 6 in the US. is that correct? 6 month seems awfully late for an abortion!

• patio34
    patio34

Gosh, Realist, I don't know. Partial-birth abortions are illegal, I think, in most states. They would be in the 3rd trimester (after 6 months), but are illegal mostly, I think.

I'm not really pro-choice necessarily, but hardly think pro-choicers are "on the side of terrorists." That was my point in posting that reference to the presidential adviser.

Pat

• Realist
    Realist

good morning pat! what time is it in good old california?!?! :)

i think the main issue should be whether or not the embryo suffers or not during the abortion procedure. with 3 month ( the legal limit in europe for most cases) the embryo does not have a well developed central nervous system so i think abortion is not a huge ethical problem before that. but with 6 month a baby can already survive in an incubator. an abortion at this stage seems equvivalent to killing a baby after birth.

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

Pat~

Thanks for posting that. What an extreme divisive insult to everyone out there fighting for women's rights. I took part in a letter writing campaign a few days ago, demanding an apology.

Realist~

For now, yes, abortions are legal during the first trimester. That is in grave danger, though. Late-term abortions(partial birth abortions), were officially banned. That is a medically necessary procedure. It's interesting because out of all abortions performed in the nation, late-term abortions count for only about 1%.

~~Adrienne~~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit