My parents just split up

by digderidoo 7 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I don't know why i'm writing this post...

It's not for sympathy...please do not offer any...

After 33 years of marriage, my parents have finally decided it's all over. They seperated last week.

I won't go into details....but it's what they both want. In a sense i feel happy for them. They've never really been happy together.

My mom has moved out, set up on her own, has now become independant. Good luck to her...

My dad has stayed at home, has plans for the future without mom....good luck to him.

Although this has been on the cards for a couple of years...when it finally happens it's weird.

Isn't it weird how you think you're going to be with someone for the rest of your life and then your not?

I'm divorced, many cousins are, many friends are...

Marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be.

When two people are in love do they really need a marriage ceremony to confirm that? Promises and vows can be just ripped up in the law courts, so why do people get married?

Sometimes i think that people get married out of a form of insecurity about the relationship. Surely if two people are committed to each other they don't need to publicly declare it, do they?

Don't mean to insult those who are married....just commenting from my own observations.

I feel for my children....all around them people are splitting up. Do they really need this?...their circumstances changing and they have no say.

Anyway i'm waffling on....just wanted to air some thoughts.

• Kent
    Kent

Hi digeridoo!

Sometimes i think that people get married out of a form of insecurity about the relationship. Surely if two people are committed to each other they don't need to publicly declare it, do they?

Even worse - extremely many are still married because they are insecure about a life! They don't dare - and choses certain dullness to an "insecure" future.

If people had at least a LITTLE confidence in themselves, many would do what your parents did!

Send them some roses from me!

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• DrunkWithLiberty
    DrunkWithLiberty

Hi Dig,
    Sounds like an exciting time for your parents since the break up was a mutual decision.
    My personal views of marriage have changed so much since leaving the org. My husband and I both agree that if something happened to either one of us we would not get remarried. We feel that the marriage is great for stability in a child's life (although relationships with children and without marriage have worked)but when the child is older and more mature, has own family, etc. staying together is not necessary unless you both want to.
    I think it is more destructive if a break up is one sided or there is a lot of resentment and bitterness attached to the break up. I know that my parent's divorce was not the worst part of the break up, but the bitterness and fall out that is still there after 20 years.
    At this time, my husband and I are having the time of our lives together and enjoy our family situation. We give each other a lot of freedom and support each others ideas and choices, so it works. We also acknowledge that neither one of us can be the other's "everything".
    Good luck to your parents on the new roads they have chosen.
    Much happpiness, Angeleah

• dedalus
    dedalus

Hi Digderidoo,

A couple of years ago my parents split up, too -- more accurately, my mother left my father, which more or less devastated him, and even today he isn't quite the same.

Fortunately my mother waited until all of us (my brothers and I) were grown up before she left. It made things easier, I think, but it still wasn't "easy." The fantasy of someday bringing my children to their grandparent's house -- that seat of the family patriarch and matriarch, site of my childhood -- was ruined. A lot of the future plans our family held (anniversary parties, vacations, etc.) were now impossible. Special occasions (weddings, graduations, births) were now awkward. And for a good year or so, I strongly resented it. Eventually I decided that our family had enough resilience to make new future plans, that there was plenty of family lore to pass onto my future children. It took a long time to really believe that, though.

When two people are in love do they really need a marriage ceremony to confirm that? Promises and vows can be just ripped up in the law courts, so why do people get married?

I agree 100%, and it's something I thought to myself endlessly before I finally proposed to my girlfriend. But eventually I thought [excuse following language], "fuck it, maybe it'll be that way -- we'll split up -- or maybe we won't, but ultimately that's largely up to me." What I plan to remind myself, once I'm married, is that the institution of marriage is not a panacea for all the problems that come with mutual cohabitation and other facets of relationships.

I don't know if this is naive or not.

Of course, I'm still doing things all out of order. My fiancee is pregnant, a fact that doesn't bother us, precisely because we know how strongly we are committed to each other, and how much each of us really wants this baby. I wouldn't love my fiancee any more, be any more devoted to her, if we had a marriage certificate. We'll get one eventually, because it's a gesture, a symbol, that we want to have made ... but it's a gesture or symbol of something that's already there.

Anyway, sorry if I've gotten off-topic with my personal life. Getting back to your parents' divorce, I would just say this: give yourself time to react to it, because it isn't the sort of thing you react to in a day. Be open and honest with your parents about how they feel. After my parents' separation, I told my mother (as respectfully as one can say such a thing) that I thought she was a hypocrite. She listened patiently, said she understood why I would think that, and explained a few things about her decision to leave. That conversation helped a lot, only because I was honest enough to express my disappointment in her. Maybe you'll have similar conversations with your parents. You don't need to yell at them, bite their heads off, tell them how to live their lives -- just tell them what you think.

Dedalus

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Kent,
    thanks for your support...i hope they now make the most of their lives.

DWT

marriage is great for stability in a child's life

i'm with you on that one.

Dedalus,
    Thanks for your kind words.
    It's comforting to know that there are others on here who go through the same situations in life.
    I wish you and your girlfriend the best for the future.
    A couple of weeks ago i went to a cousins wedding. She had been married before and her new husband....they'd also lived together for many years. In his sermon, the vicar pointed out that although this was the case, they are now taking their relationship onto another level.....this summed it up for me, as no one else has ever done.
    I guess if marriage is for you, and it put's you onto that extra level, then go for it.

• LDH
    LDH

It sounds like they are brave people--embarking on a new road. I wish them all the best. I hope they are able to remain civil with one another.

Yours, Lisa

• God_knows
    God_knows

You can write to me if you need a friend. Hugs and kisses to you in Jesus's name, dearest one.
    [email protected]

• taoistpunk
    taoistpunk

Dig,
    When I was 3yrs old my father left my mom and wanted nothing to do with me. I was told that I would cry wondering were my dad was and if he would come back. Till this day I still have resentment with my dad, but he is still my dad. I guess what I'm trying to get at is as long as you don't resent either of them for there split-up, than everything should be OK.

T/Punk...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit