Article on birthdays in the Bible

by Leolaia 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just found this in Old Testament Abstracts. I'm sure the WTS "scholars" will snatch it up in a second. Since the article is in German, I can't examine what it really says and what its take is on the birthdays in Job.

ANDREAS LEHNARDT, 2003. "Zum Geburtstag in den Judischen Schriften aus hellenistisch-romischer Zeit, im Neuen Testament und in her rabbinischen Literatur," Judische Schriften, 402-28.

"L. examines the idea of the 'birthday' in Jewish literature of the Hellenistic and Roman times (mainly 2 Maccabees and the Psalms of Solomon), in the NT, and in Rabbinic texts. He concludes that compared with the literature of the pagan Hellenistic and Roman world, the concept of 'birthday' plays a relatively small role in ancient Jewish writings: Although life is not devalued, celebrations of the birthday of pagan or Jewish rulers are viewed negatively. Since a person's 'birthday' is seen as the day on which a human being becomes able to sin, it is rather the day of one's circumcision that is to be celebrated."

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    I'm sure the WTS "scholars" will snatch it up in a second.

Yes, any tidbit, that coincides with their slant.

Since a person's 'birthday' is seen as the day on which a human being becomes able to sin, it is rather the day of one's circumcision that is to be celebrated."

Bet they won't print that part.

xjw_b12, who will now celebrate his birthday and the day of his circumcision !

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

But what if your birthday is also the day of your circumcision? Does that mean you get double the toys?

Nina

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah, so I guess the boys luck out again.....girls have nothing to celebrate for...

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

But, unlike Birthdays, I can celebrate my Circumcision on a daily basis!

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    Yeah, so I guess the boys luck out again.....girls have nothing to celebrate for...

Leolaia. Who do you think we'd being celebrating with. Well speaking for myself

• kalunga
    kalunga

Is there a link to this abstract, where it can be read??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit