ANZAC DAY

by natalienu 9 Replies latest jw friends

• natalienu
    natalienu

This Sunday 25th of April marks the 89th anniversary of the battle of Gallipoli (Turkey WW1.) This was the first time (& sadly not the last) both Australia & New Zealand sent troops into battle. The Battle lasted for 9 months & the objectives were not met. They survived in the most unimaginable conditions & earned the respect of the turkish soldiers so much so that they refer to the battle today as the "gentlemans war". Today the word ANZAC (Australian New Zealand Army Corps) sybolises the Australian & New Zealand way of life. These first soldiers that represented our countries showed great courage, determination & a sense of mateship that is the building blocks of our society. The original ANZAC's are the watermark at which we measure ourselves. Their memory & the ANZAC spirit is often all we have in harsh times. When floods wash away our homes, when drought cripples our crops & when bushfire takes the bloody lot! It is at these times when the ANZAC spirit thrives, for our homes will be re-built, our crops re-sown & the fires extinguished. With the ANZAC spirit deep inside, we know we'll still be standing with our mates at the end of the day. Wounded we may be, but sure as hell we'll still be standing! As Dawn Breaks on on April 25, we will pause to remember, not just those who fought in the 1st World War, but all conflicts that our armed service men & women have served in since. For those whose names are carved in stone & blood that lies in foreign soil, may they know that they are the pride of two grateful nations. They will, & must not be forgotten. Lest We forget.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The Australaise........... 1908..........:.... "Fellers of Australier; blokes and coves and coots, Shift yer bloody carcases, move yer bloody boots. Gird yer bloody loins up, Get yer bloody gun. Set the bloody enermy and watch the blighters run. Get a bloody move on, have some bloody sense, Learn the bloody art of Self de-bloody fence"...........C.J.Dennis..........'1908 marching song.'

Natalienu, I salute you. (as per usual )

• natalienu
    natalienu

come on peoples!

• nilfun
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

So, who is going to be at the Dawn Parade?

I'll be there.

• natalienu
    natalienu

Sunday morning bright and early!!!

My grandad died at our memorial at Kings Park - had a heart attack there just after one of the memorials. Very sad, but a nice place to go!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Albany War Memorial.

The first Australian & NZ Convoy left from Albany on Nov 1st 1914

• hippikon
    hippikon

I'll drink to that !

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Hippy, old son!

Good to see ya around!!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

You are cordially invited:

To join us in our first commemoration of this significant day.

Ozzie and Mrs Ozzie

Yes, folks, we'll be heading up to the big smoke early in the morning so's we're not late!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit