What do you think about this?

by desib77 6 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

I have a coworker who likes to joke around about me being fired....he actually just started not long ago..I've been there several years now and work at home most of the week. It was okay the first time he told me he overheard the boss talking about letting me go but now he like to call and tell me I'm fired...the thing is he is kind of under me. My position is Sr. and his is Jr. It's kind of getting annoying. He's a really nice guy but the joking around all the time is getting annoying. I almost think he wishes I would leave. He even jokes around that I'm keeping information from him so that he doesn't pass me in the co.

Any suggestions? Should I just shrug it off?

• desib77
    desib77

bttt

• JeffT
    JeffT

Does this person actually report to you? If yes I'd tell him that he's being unprofessional and knock it off. If he reports to some one else I'd make the same comment, but caution him that if it doesn't stop you'll have to speak to his boss. I'd try to word this in way that doesn't make it sound like you've got a stick up your butt, just that the joke is no longer funny.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I would not just shrug it off. This guy is trying to get to you. Constanly joking about your being fired? Hardly what I'd call a team player. I would not trust him.

I'd handle it by being straightforward. I'd tell him I do not appreciate his comments about my being let go, that I take my job very seriously and have been well rewarded for my contribution. I'd probably say something to the effect that "I understand that you have not been here very long, so I am assuming you do not understand the impacts your comments have upon the teamwork environment. "

I think the best policy is to be straightfoward. Years ago I worked in an office where one of the newer people constantly made it clear that she was watching when I arrived, when I left, etc., always like this guy, in a joking manner. Finally, I confrtonted her with it. She looked very surprised, apologized, and never did it again. I believe she was actually very insecure in her abilities and was jealous of me).

Anyway, that's how I'd handle it.

• Nina
    Nina

It seems obvious to me that this person is after your job. Proceed with caution.

There are a number of ways you can handle this guy. I'm partial to this one:

Fake Serious. If he calls again with the message that you have been fired play it straight. Thank him for relaying the information and tell him that you will contact HR (or whoever handles that function in your organization) to wrap up your affairs. If he doesn't catch on to the seriousness of what he is doing (legally he is impersonating an Agent of the company) he will when HR gets finished with him.

Set him up. When he starts talking about how you are trying to hold him back in the company suggest to him that you heard it different, then start your own "joke" about HIM, targeting his own insecurities.

Whatever you do, don't let him know he's getting to you.

Nina

• Maverick
    Maverick

Why not talk to your boss? Ask the boss if there is a way your can be doing your job better? Don't say anything about the bonehead under you. Act like you just want to be a more valued employee and want your boss's imput on how to do this. Maverick

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Hi there desi, there is a long-time poster here named "larc" who is or was also a long-term human resources professional - he has said that he is willing to answer questions like this if you want to private message him.

He has answered me back on the subject twice when I asked for help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit