Can I rant/rave, please?

by Candlestick02 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

Hi All,

Sorry I've been MIA for a while. Started a new job and I'm swamped. I'm only taking out time now during lunch to get something off my chest. I've been out of the Borg for around 4 years now (the happiest ones ever), but my immediate family are still in. Last night I get a call (long-distance) from my mom. Her exact words 'I'm going to lose it... your dad did it again!' Now mind you, my dad USED to be an elder..for like 15 years. He stepped down a while ago (for economic reasons). Nevertheless still viewed in the cong. like one of the best teachers. (Yeah, if they only knew!) So, my mom is crying to me on the phone, because my knuckle-head dad signed a car-loan for someone (NOT a JW, just a friend), unbeknownst to my mom. Now WHY my dad did this is beyond me! He's been known to lie to my mom many times before, and we ALWAYS knew when things weren't right. She's fuming cause he did this AGAIN (not the 1st time he loaned money to this idiot) and he keeps covering up about it.

Anyway, while my mom was on the phone w/ me, she took another call and said she'd call me right back.. it was the elder. She calls me back and says they're gonna come (another elder with the 1st) to talk to them tonight. Now, WHAT on God's green earth are they going to tell my dad? Uh.. stop lying to your wife. Hello! They've gone through this before?! It's just SO ridiculous!

So, I ask to speak w/ my dad -- who is outside in the garage cause my mom won't let him in the house. He gives me his side of the story (which I don't buy)... and ends up (maybe) realizing what a stupid thing he did ... by keeping something like this from my mom, by lending money that they don't have (I swear, I can't for the life of me think how ANY bank would loan him money), by jeapordizing the financial well-being of HIS own family, etc.. He got emotional with me on the phone.. but I told him how I saw it. That even after all of the studying he's done from the Bible, I couldn't even think that someone without that knowledge, would do something that stupid (the lying, etc). (Aside: in all honesty, I really can't see anyone being that stupid, but I threw in their the comment of all his Bible knowledge to see if I struck some sort of cord with him.)

I guess the parts that sting me most are 1) the elders are going to come over and do what? they can't remedy the situation..my dad's lost it. Even HE said last night, 'yeah, I know..I think I need some professional help' (duh!); 2) my mom in her anger is resorting to violence with my dad (something that I doubt will come up at the elder conference they're having tonight, which coincidentally is the straw that broke the camel's back with me, and what made ME take off out of that house); 3) that my father is making these stupid decisions (probably to hide some even uglier truth about something; God knows what? I've contemplated an affair to cover-up; a homosexual interest; drugs?) and finally 4) that my dad said he was going to be in the garage in the morning and not wake up. What a great thing to say to your daughter... yeah, just tell me you're going to kill yourself.

I think they're both wacked... and I've strongly suggested they get professional help (together and separately)... I think my mom is FINALLY there..and willing to go. Please pray that she gain some insight from going and maybe will see that she doesn't have to live the way she is.. thinking the Society and the elders are going to give them the answers.

Sorry for the long post.. I just needed to get it off my chest with others who understand.

Candlestick...

• Nina
    Nina

Well, it sounds to me like you should just step back and stay out of it because......

The whole thing is big and important right now, a real hot emotional issue, but in about 6 weeks everything will be "business as usual". That seems to be the way it goes in situations like this. Look, they've hung together all these years, however dysfunctional they have been. I think they are each getting something out of the relationship and each is putting something back in.

When one of them has had enough, or one of them goes over the edge, the situation will change.

I have some vague notion that you are all caught in an abuse cycle. The only sure thing you can do is keep yourself straight.

Nina

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

Thanks Nina.

You're right. It's a very hot issue right now. I agree. I'll just keep my nose out of it. Not much I can really do.

(big sigh, just frustrating. Plus, yeah, it reminds me of the ridiculousness of the situation I went through now to long ago. Those wounds have healed..but this is dredging them all up again.)

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I've had stuff like this all my life, parents unloading their burdens and frustrations on their kids. I'm only guessing that they try to get you to take each's side on issues.

I agree with the others, try staying out of your parents' mess. You're not living there anymore, so you don't have to deal with it.

• Ciara
    Ciara

My parents have been JWs forever. I wish I could tell you that this kind of crap is unusual, but unfortunately it's about on par for a good little witness family. My dad's congregation was recently disbanded due to his misconduct. Your mother still asociates with you??? Mine haven't so much as said hello to me since 1/01. I think it's better that way because I don' t have to deal with all that emotional crap all the time. I do miss them, though. Best of luck in your situation.

• Atilla
    Atilla

Unfortunately, sometimes older people are nieve when it comes to finances or how the real world works, but the problem is only compounded when you are old and a witness. I wish I could help my parents sell their house right now, but I really just don't know where to start, so I stay out of it. My only fear is that I will end up taking care of them in the future because they didn't plan things out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit