Just got called on...

by joenobody 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• joenobody
    joenobody

Funny thing happened this morning. I got called on by the local JWs. In the past, I always saw them skip my house (I assume I was on the do-not-call list), so I was kind of excited when they called.

I played a little dumb like I knew a bit about the witnesses because I had read the mags in the past and knew some guys in school. We talked about the UN involvement, which they adamantly denied. I ran upstairs to print the letter but I couldn't find the link on here or on the UN website whcih really sucked.

We talked about a few other things (1914/607 etc.) but the problem I had in attempting to engage them in debate is that they didn't even know Watchtower doctrine correctly!!! I tried to talk to them about if how the mags were so important to me and my neighbours, they should be published in full online in the greatest information. They insisted that "oh yeah - they are!" when of course they aren't.

I ended up just having a nice discussion with them (they were two nice older sisters), but they certainly weren't well indoctrinated. They didn't even realize that that JWs accept blood fractions now! Wehn talking about 607, their explanation of the missing 20 years didn't jive with the office WTS explanation. It wasn't like I could tell them, "no no, you are supposed to believe this as the official party line" then shoot it down.

They kept talking about the things I mentioned as "small" or "minor". I ended up feeling pretty bad for them as these were a couple of really nice ladies. The dropped the word "apostate" around me talking about some ex-jws - I played dumb and asked what that meant. The average householder hasn't got a clue what they are talking about.

It was fun, but not as fun as it could have been.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Joe,

You probably gave them such much-needed variety from the usual "I'm not interested / have my own religion / too busy" type responses that JW's get when people actually bother to answer their call.

Additionally -- I remember that we as JW's used to be amazed at how little many people seemed to know about their own religion. Your experience with these two "sisters" who probably have been Witnesses for quite a while shows that a lot of JW's don't know the little details about their own religion either. Certainly the Watchtower literature has stated that whether to take blood fractions is a conscience matter. Yet the doctrines are so confusing, that most JW's stick to a few scriptures about the Kingdom and paradise, and that's it.

They kept saying that what you brought up is "small and minor". Yet isn't that what life is about? It's not about large things, but it's about the sum of all the small things we think and that we do. Dismissing what you say as "small and minor" is obviously a defense mechanism -- "don't confuse me with your facts, our facts are right!"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes, just about par for the course.

If they came in recently, say within the last 20 years, they might have had a six month bible study , then been told to read up the rest in there own time. The group studies where we learned the most, are now much more superficial . The occasional "Deep" WT , probably passes them by.

You are right . Dubs do not know as much about there religion as we do!!!!!.

They do not want to understand the blood doctrine and permitted fractions (Too many long words) They leave it to the Society and will ask the elders if it it ever happens to them . They sign blood cards but do not ubderstand them

They have a head-in-the-sand attitude to the UN issue . They are not interested.

I say this from personal experience with family members...and they say that I am crazy??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit