JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES BAN IN MOSCOW UPDATE

by izobcenec 7 Replies latest jw friends

• izobcenec
    izobcenec

At the time of writing, there is no news on any appeal against the ban recently imposed on Jehovah's Witnesses religious activities in Moscow.

However, this perhaps gives us an opportunity to review the facts and to get a few points straight. Most people seem to have very similar views on this religious group and the principal concerns appear to be over the blood transfusions and the methods in which Jehovah's Witnesses promote their faith.

Although we follow no religion ourselves, we have taken a closer look at this group and its faith. Initially, we too had doubts about many of their "rules" and this was based on a lack of understanding and knowledge. However, in the last few weeks we have gathered a lot more information and see things in a different light (so to speak).

The one thing we have discovered is that Jehovah's Witnesses follow a very good set of moralistic rules. Some may be open to debate and it's very likely that some of their followers may not adhere to them totally, but this is true of every religion on the planet.

Let's take a look a look at some of the areas that are important to them: They believe that a husband and wife should be properly married in the eyes of the law. A husband should never hit his wife or mistreat her in any way. A father should work hard to care for his family. He must provide food, clothing, and housing for his wife and children. A wife is expected to care for her family lovingly. Parents should never discipline their children in a harsh or cruel way. Marriage mates must be faithful to each other. Adultery is a sin against God and against one's mate. They do not listen to or tell dirty jokes or unclean stories. They are against Sex before marriage, adultery, bestiality, incest. Every form of gambling is tainted by greed. So Christians do not take part in any kind of gambling, such as lotteries, horse racing, and bingo. It is wrong to take revenge or to return evil for the bad things that others might do. It is not wrong to drink a little wine, beer, or other alcoholic beverage, but heavy drinking and drunkenness are wrong. It is wrong to mistreat animals or to kill them just for sport or pleasure. Smoking and taking drugs are not permitted. In each congregation, there are elders, or overseers. They do not dress differently from others. Neither are they paid for their work.

This does not sound like a group who "Incite religious discord...break up families....endanger life" in fact, if you were to take the religion from their rules, you would have a set of morals that many should consider following! Unfortunately, a body affiliated to the Russian Orthodox Church seem to have a different opinion and seem determined to keep the ban in place.

In March we saw headlines like "Church hails Jehovahs Witness ban" and comments such as "We think that the Jehovah's Witnesses doctrine and the organisation's activities provide a legal reason for banning it," Moscow Patriarchate spokesman Mikhail Dudko was quoted as saying.

Perhaps the area we most admire about their religion is the fact that their elders do not get paid for leading a congregation. How many other religions can you find that do not give their Church "workers" a salary? Does the Russian Orthodox Church pay their leaders? Obviously Jehovah's Witnesses need to raise money to cover expenses like any other religion, but this is done by way of donations. We believe it is wrong for someone to get paid for preaching, if they truly believe in their faith they should be prepared to do it for love and for free (as the Bible states, this information was given to them for free!).

It is a little sad that another religion can be so vindictive of another, something the Russian Orthodox Church have indicated that Jehovah's Witnesses are guilty of. It is also of some concern that very few (if any) other religious groups have shown any support against this ban and are either afraid of speaking out or secretly support Moscow's decision. Maybe Moscow should take a closer look at some of the other religions that operate in the City, as these clearly do not practice what they preach (love thy neighbour!).

Yes, the situation regarding blood transfusions is a difficult area, but as we have already reported, not all blood saves lives (some blood can be contaminated). This is an area of their belief that we must try and understand, but then you have religions where the eating of pork is forbidden. What if someone from that religion was faced with the decision of either eating that meat or starving to death, what would they do?

Clearly, there is a lot of misunderstanding about Jehovah's Witnesses and a certain amount of prejudice. Our advice would be to study the facts for yourself and not belive everything you hear from others. We hope the authorities in Moscow will take this advice and rethink the ban.

http://www.profindpages.com/news/2004/04/19/MN081.htm

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

If anyone wants to send a reply to this article, the address is [email protected]

Here's the message I sent:

Dear ProFindPages Editor,

This is in response to your article "Jehovah's Witnesses Ban in Moscow Update", dated 19.04.2004.

A bit of background on myself: I am an American who was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. I had the opportunity to attend several meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses in St Petersburg during a trip there with my family in 1994, and to personally meet Vasily Kalin and other members of the Branch Committee (central board of directors) of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia. My father was a senior Witness elder, and served as a consultant to the Russian congregation of JWs on business matters.

As a supporter of human rights, I do not believe that Jehovah's Witnesses should be banned. I deplore the tactics of the Moscow Prosecutor's Office in repeatedly subjecting them to trial on the same charges, thus making a mockery of the justice system.

But if you believe that Jehovah's Witnesses are a harmless sect, I am afraid that you are woefully misinformed.

Jehovah's Witnesses do indeed separate families; my wife and I are a case in point. We were both raised Jehovah's Witnesses, and because we left the faith as adults, we are considered "apostates". Our Witness relatives refuse to talk to us; even our own parents won't sit down to a meal with us. Nor is this an isolated instance; this is the routine practice for any baptized Witness who leaves the faith.

Another dangerous aspect of the religion is that it is based on absolute control and obedience. Members are not allowed to read any material written by dissenters from the organization. Anyone found reading such material--or expressing a dissenting opinion--who does not recant is subject to "disfellowshipping": permanent shunning by their friends and family, just as was done to my wife and me.

There is much more that could be said about this group; the website www.freeminds.com has some good resources where you can find further information.

I should reiterate that I do not favor governmental action against the group, and I applaud you for speaking up against an injustice. However, I do think it is very important for the public to be informed of the dangerous nature of this sect, so that they can protect themselves and their families from any involvement with it.

Warm Regards,
    Daniel Glick
    Boise, Idaho, USA
  • DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Good letter Euph. Maybe the author of this update should read some of the quotes from older Watchtower publications.

Devon

• rocketman
    rocketman
    We believe it is wrong for someone to get paid for preaching

Note what the Bible Gateway commentary says about 1 Timothy 5:17:

. "Not only had God chosen them, but they had proved themselves to be devoted to the work. On the other hand, as verse 18 indicates, those called elders were to be supported financially (or perhaps "materially," since we do not know what form this support would have taken) by the church for their service. Double honor, therefore, brings together respectful submission to authority and remuneration.

The full-time minister's right to remuneration was not an innovation but a well-established tradition in the early church. Paul supports his teaching by appealing to the Scriptures. First comes a citation of Deuteronomy 25:4, which originally provided that threshing oxen be allowed to eat from the field in which they were working. Paul had applied this text earlier, in 1 Corinthians 9:9, to argue for the right to material support from that community.

A second citation applied the teaching of the Lord to the matter; in Jesus' opinion those working for the kingdom of God deserve to be supplied by those benefiting from their ministry (Mt 10:10; Lk 10:7). This principle probably derives from God's regulations for provision for the priests and Levites, who had no lands to till and whose responsibilities as ministers of God occupied their whole time (Num 18)."

It's not wrong to be compensated for ministering, as Paul showed at 1 Timothy 5:17-19, which read: 17" The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. 18 For the Scripture says, "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain," [1] and "The worker deserves his wages." [2]

He simply declined so as not to impose a possible burden on the church. But, as he explained, it would not have been wrong for him to accept remuneration.

Slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to throw that in.

Back on main topic, I agree with Euphemism - while jws may be harmful, I cannot support a ban on their activities.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Just wanted to mention, I received a reply from the author, and he is indeed well aware of the issues with JWs. Personally, I look forward to his further writing on the subject.

• AlanF
    AlanF

You've said it all in your letter, Dan! Excellent comments!

: I received a reply from the author, and he is indeed well aware of the issues with JWs.

I have to wonder about that. His article was extremely one-sided and showed zero awareness of "the issues with JWs". Indeed, it reads like it was written by a JW pretending to be an outside observer.

As for untrained elders not getting paid for their ministerial work, the saying applies: You get what you pay for.

But the Watchtower Society really doesn't believe its own teaching, at least, not when it comes to anyone associated with the headquarters hierarchy. Bethelites receive full room and board, and plenty of other benefits. What's that worth on today's market, especially in the high-priced section of Brooklyn where Bethel is? CO's and DO's and certain Bethelites are given cars and have all their expenses paid by Bethel or by local JWs. If that's not remuneration, I don't know what to call it. It might not be as much as churches pay their leaders, but it's still payment.

AlanF

• Room 215
    Room 215

Well said, Dan, and I'm in full agreement with you, Rocketman and Alan; all a ban would do is fuel the JW delusion that ``they're suffering the persecution Jesus foretold his true followers would experience."

• AlanF
    AlanF

Let me make it clear that I don't disagree with the Moscow court's ban. While in principle I don't much like banning religions or any other groups, there comes a point where banning becomes necessary. This was all argued on another recent thread, and I believe everyone agreed that a religion that advocates human sacrifice ought to be banned -- despite constitutional guarantees on freedom of religion. The point is that these guarantees are not unlimited, which means that government officials must decide where to draw the line between human sacrifice and, say, deliberately destroying families.

I see the Moscow banning as a way of generating adverse publicity against the JWs, which will bring political pressure on the idiots in Brooklyn to change their ways. It's in line with taking the Watchtower Society to court for human rights violations such as participating in covering up child abuse, or publicly slandering people via disfellowshipping. The only way idiots like the Governing Body will change is if they're brought under pressure intense enough that they're forced to choose between lightening up ans survival. The history of the Watchtower shows that they will change, given the right pressure. They've had the freedom guaranteed by the US constitution, coupled with an extremely liberal interpretation since the 1940s, as an out, but I hope that will change.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit