USA Gardening Question????

by waiting 7 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

Hi!

How does one dry Oakleaf Hydrangeas flowers?

I know how to dry the regular round hydrangeas. I cut them after they've matured (but before they totally dry out & start browning), then put in about an inch of water.....and they absorb the water, and slowly dry as the water dries out. Works well - and there are a couple of other ways too.

But Oakleaf Hydrangeas don't dry that way for me. Is there another way that really works? I've seen them dried....so know it's possible. I've searched some on the web for info - but no success. Even Martha didn't actually answer that question.

Help & thanks!

waiting

• blondie
    blondie

Look at this info and see if it helps. I'm no expert.

If harvested at a particular color stage and hung upside down in a dark, well-ventilated area to dry, the flowers will retain some of their original color.

Harvest

Cut hydrangea flowers prior to complete blossom.

Drying

Stand hydrangea upright or hang upside down in dry, dark, open, airy place.

Look closely at the hydrangea flower heads toward the end of the blooming season. There are actually two types of flowers on each head. You will see that the larger flowers have a tiny flower on top.

2. Wait until the tiny flowers on top have almost opened. The color will just have begun to fade. This is the prime time to cut them.

3. Cut stems at least 12 to 18 inches down from the base of the flowers

http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/preserving.html

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg150.htm

• Seven
    Seven

Hi Waiting,

I think you're cutting them at the right time(once they begin to get that parchment feel to them). However, I'd skip the water and just place them in a dry vase or hang them. Cut 'em and forget about them for a while. I've never had any luck at all placing them or any flower in water.

Hope all is well w/ you.

seven

• Odrade
    Odrade

I know someone who dries delicate herbs in large (LARGE) paper bags in the garage. It seems to work well as the flowers and stems don't fade. I would make sure that there is absolutely no draft for oakleaf hydrangea, the flowers are so fragile.

• weasel
  • waiting
    waiting

Y'all are so nice.........thank you.

I've dried my blue hydrangeas for a decade now - no problem. But the Oakleaf? No success! I just leave 'em to die a natural death.

I'll go to all the sites - thanks, my searches did zip & been busy at work.

Thanks again y'all!

waiting

ps: My son's getting married in July & in SC - I should have some dried by then. That's The Plan anyway.

• waiting
    waiting

*cough*................I have some beautiful Lacecap Hydrangeas.....anybody tried to dry them?

I haven't - another Natural Death in my garden.

waiting - already gone to one of the sites!

• waiting
    waiting

Well, well, well.

I've used silica (whatever) crystals before for drying....but not hydrangeas.

The glycerin (whatever spelling again) sounds good. I've tried drying upside down - but once the hydrangeas are papery.....just putting them close together in a vase (to keep their *heads* up & intact) works as well.....with little space taken. And it certainly dresses up a lot of rooms while their drying.

Live & Learn...thanks A LOT!

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit