Conflicted

by Wild_Thing 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/2003/6/1/article_01.htm

So I saw this article and wondered what the latest society view was on burning incense. So I read and read and read as the article rambled on and on looking for whether they "officially" still say it is bad. After going on and on about it is associated with "false worship" and how Jehovah detested any early christians burning incense etc. they say :

True Christians take care to avoid anything that is connected with false worship or the occult. John 4:24.

Next sentence ... new paragraph:

Does the fact that incense is used in religious ceremonies and in spiritism mean that all incense-burning is wrong? Not necessarily.

Am I just stoned or did they just contradict themselves?

• Gopher
    Gopher

I am of two opinions regarding articles like this. First, they're a way to fill space in their magazines but provide very little guidance that the average JW can use. Second, they are an insult to any person with average intelligence.

That having been said, I think the article is not contradictory but states that religious/spiritual use of incense is wrong, but enjoying the aroma is acceptable under other circumstances for their followers.

Like I said, this isn't really very helpful, most JW's would know this stuff. Or maybe they don't. Maybe they need to have their hand held.

Coming in a future issue: Is it scriptural to have the toilet paper go OVER the top of the roll, or should the paper run parallel to the wall? All Christians should be unified in this important matter.

• santacruzchick
    santacruzchick

They just need new things to write about, and more things to confuse you as to whether or not its 'okay' in 'Jehovah's eye's' for you to do them. Its a subtler means of constraint, just like how you aren't allowed to watch the Lion King, or Anastasia because it has spiritism. Heh, sorry, I'm going on rambling about nothing, I'm looking for every possible means of distraction, I have a fridggen midterm due tomorrow. Locke, Hobbes and Rousseau, the classical contract theorists, what would Jehovah say about them? What would the ORG say about them, or vice versa...if only I were high, where's the weed in santa cruz when I need some? :/

• shamus
    shamus

That exact article was discussed in some detail here not too long ago. I don't know where the thread is, because I have better things to do than keep track of that crap.

Reading that WT bullshit gives me a headache. They imply things and imply that you are "bad" for simply burning insence.

Reading that crap makes me so happy that I am not a believer in that "holier than thou" nonsense. When I burn insense it's for the smell; not worshiping baal, as the WTBTS would like to think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit