The WTS- The Hananiah Class

by zugzwang 1 Replies latest jw friends

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

The Bible gives an example of what a false prophet might sound like at Jeremiah chapter 28. Here the account is given of Hananiah. Here in verse two through four Hananiah declares: "This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said, ?I will break the yoke of the king of Babylon. Within two full years more I am bringing back to this place all the utensils of the house of Jehovah that Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon took from this place that he might bring them to Babylon.?" And Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim, the king of Judah, and all the exiles of Judah who have come to Babylon I am bringing back to this place,? is the utterance of Jehovah, ?for I shall break the yoke of the king of Babylon.?" Here we have a prophecy being uttered by Hananiah. Notice some of the characteristics of this prophecy. One, he speaks in Jehovah's name, two, he says what the people want to hear, and three, he sets a time period for his prophecy. Notice next Jeremiah's reaction to this prophecy. Starting at verse five the account continues: "And Jeremiah the prophet proceeded to say to Hananiah the prophet before the eyes of the priests and before the eyes of all the people who were standing in the house of Jehovah; yes, Jeremiah the prophet proceeded to say: 'Amen! Thus may Jehovah do! May Jehovah establish your words that you have prophesied by bringing back the utensils of the house of Jehovah and all the exiled people from Babylon to this place! However, hear, please, this word that I am speaking in your ears and in the ears of all the people. As regards the prophets that happened to be prior to me and prior to you from long ago, they also used to prophesy concerning many lands and concerning great kingdoms, of war and of calamity and of pestilence. As regards the prophet that prophesies of peace, when the word of the prophet comes true the prophet whom Jehovah has sent in truth will become known."

Notice especially the last part of what Jeremiah said, "when the word of the prophet comes true the prophet whom Jehovah has sent in truth will become known." In other words, a person can say all they want that they are sent by God, but the proof is in whether or not what they pronounce comes true. Notice now the fourth thing that Hananiah does, he repeats the prophecy. "At that Hananiah the prophet took the yoke bar from off the neck of Jeremiah the prophet and broke it. And Hananiah went on to say before the eyes of all the people: This is what Jehovah has said, "Just like this I shall break the yoke of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon within two full years more from off the neck of all the nations."' And Jeremiah the prophet proceeded to go his way." What is the outcome of this? The chapter continues: "Then the word of Jehovah occurred to Jeremiah, after Hananiah the prophet had broken the yoke bar from off the neck of Jeremiah the prophet, saying: 'Go, and you must say to Hananiah, "This is what Jehovah has said: 'Yoke bars of wood you have broken, and instead of them you will have to make yoke bars of iron.' For this is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said: 'A yoke of iron I will put upon the neck of all these nations, to serve Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon; and they must serve him. And even the wild beasts of the field I will give him.' And Jeremiah the prophet went on to say to Hananiah the prophet: 'Listen, please, O Hananiah! Jehovah has not sent you, but you yourself have caused this people to trust in a falsehood. Therefore this is what Jehovah has said, 'Look! I am sending you away from off the surface of the ground. This year you yourself must die, for you have spoken outright revolt against Jehovah.?" Yes in the eyes of our Lord it is a serious wrong to say you speak for him when you really do not.

Now this account about Hananiah is not put in the Bible for no reason, it is put there as an example of what a false prophet would sound like and how you could identify a false prophet. What Hananiah said was going to happen did not happen. Well has the WTS ever made any statements that sounded similar to what Hananiah said?

Notice what they said in 1920 in the booklet, Millions Now Living Will Never Die: "Therefore we may confidently expect that 1925 will mark the return of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the faithful prophets of old...." (1920, Millions Now Living Will Never Die p. 89-90) So basically in 1920 the WTS was saying that in just five years more Jehovah was going to resurrected these men. Remember Hananiah's words, "Within two full years more."

What did the WTS say in 1917: "Also, in the year 1918, when God destroys the churches wholesale and the church members by millions, it shall be that any that escape shall come to the works of Pastor Russell to learn the meaning of the downfall of Christianity." (1917, The Finished Mystery p. 485) Within one full year.

What was stated in 1889: "In the coming 26 years, all present governments will be overthrown and dissolved."- 1889, Studies in the Scriptures Vol. 2 p. 98-99

What did they say in 1941: We are "in the remaining months before Armageddon."- WT September 15, 1941 p. 288.

What did they say in 1971: "Shortly, within our twentieth century, the 'battle in the day of Jehovah' will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom."- 1971, "The Nations Shall Know that I Am Jehovah"- How? p. 216

I could continue to give reference after reference demonstrating that the WTS remarkably resembles, not Jeremiah who's shoes they claim to fill, but rather that they resemble Hananiah. They- one, speak in God's name, two, say what their followers want to hear, three, set a time limit for their prophecies and four, they repeat them over and over again. The WTS should call itself the Hananiah class rather than the Jeremiah class.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Interesting post, zugzwang.

Oh for a classless society!

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit