Progress of Berry girls' appeal in New Hampshire Supreme Court

by loveis 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• loveis
    loveis

I was just reading over the official website of the New Hampshire Supreme Court. According to official information, the appeal of the civil suit of the Berry girls was filed with the court on December 4, 2003, and accepted for review by the court in February 2004, though oral arguments are not yet scheduled.

The appeal was of a lower court's decision the block the suit--I believe on the basis that the elders were not required to report abuse due to clerical privilege. (IIRC the judge making this decision was named Groff.) Can anyone link here the thread(s) where this decision was blasted? (June 2003 was when Judge Groff handed down the decision.)

Also, has anyone heard an update on how Barb Anderson's case is progressing?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Thanks for the update on the Berry case.

The Anderson case is progressing nicely. I believe the next round in court is within a couple of months; all hurdles have so far been jumped.

AlanF

• loveis
    loveis

bttt

Here is the thread that reported the decision of the lower court judge to block the suit on grounds of ecclesiastical privilege:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/54228/1.ashx

Members certainly had some choice words for that judge at the time! You might find it timely to re-read some of them

• simplesally
    simplesally

I guess I can understand if Paul Berry went to the elders that they could not reveal/report his behavior as he would have the protection of the penitent laws.

What I have never understood is when the victim has reported the abuse, why is that law invoked??? He is not the one that confessed but it was the girls and his ex wife who came forward. He deserved no ecclestical privileges at that point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit