Watchtower's 360 Furman Street Bldg. is SOLD!

by Nathan Natas 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=7751

Watchtower building sold

The Jehovah's Witnesses have made a deal to sell their 1 million-square-foot building on the Brooklyn waterfront to RAL Development Services, a residential development company.

The purchase price for the 12-story building, at 360 Furman St., was not disclosed. The religious group's Watchtower Bible and Tract Society had been handling worldwide shipping and distribution of Bibles and religious literature from the facility, but is relocating those operations to other buildings in Brooklyn and upstate New York. It will remain as a tenant in the building for one year.

RAL says it will coordinate development of the building, which was built in 1928, with the city's and state's plans to develop the Brooklyn Bridge Park. Manhattan-based RAL recently converted the former Arthur A, Levitt state office building at 270 Broadway to a residential and commercial use building, with 39 luxury condominiums.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Nathan. Now let's see who the real sleuths here are.

1st poster to give documented evidence of the selling price, wins a 2 CD set of "Music of Farkel"

• Roddy
    Roddy

After rumors and denials, now the truth is out. They were selling the thing! Big waterfront building in a prime area? That had to be a megabuck sale. I'm half surprised the WTS didn't rent or lease the thing.

This is going to make a lot of poor unbenefited unemployed uneducated career Bethelites hitting the cold hard streets of the world as the WTS further downsizes.

• Roddy
    Roddy

Hey! I was just thinking. With 360 Furman street on the way out, does this mean that some residence buildings that the WTS have in Columbia Heights will be sold as well? Perhaps one or more of the smaller ones? After all, with the 360 Furman building sale there will be a decrease of their local labor force as the 360 Furman workers are either transfered to other areas or, most likely, laid-off. So I think this will not be the only WTS building in the area that will be up for grabs.

I wonder how the antagonized Columbia Heights residents must be feeling regarding this sale and the possibility of other sales? For a while they thought that the WTS was taking over the neighborhood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit