How does the WTS reconcile Matthew 10:22?

by kibizzle 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kibizzle
    kibizzle

"And you will be objects of hatred by all people on account of my name; but he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved."(NWT)

Every time I read this all I can think is "then why don't they call themselves Jesus' Witnesses?" Has anyone else wondered this or know how the WTS's response to this? I'm sure they have one. Kib

• garybuss
    garybuss

When I was a juvenile going to meetings in the 1950's this verse was read at group meetings as proof the Jehovah's Witnesses were the ones Jesus loves. They offered examples of Witness people being beat up and tarred and feathered and run out of towns where they set up their recruiting drives with phonograph records and sound cars blasting recordings of Rutherford spewing his hate venom towards the Catholic people.

Later when I read of the history of those riots, I learned they were all staged and provoked so the Witnesses would be beat up in front of waiting cameras and arrested and hauled to jail so Rutherford could have another case to try in the Supreme Court and brag about his court wins in his Watch Tower magazine.

Actually I came to see that the Witness people were/are hated, not because of Jesus's name (which they don't even claim for their own), but they are hated because they are jerks and sphincters. They define religious intolerance, they aggravate people on purpose, they divide families, they discourage pragmatic medical treatment, and they advocate disrespect of the governments of the countries in which they live.

They are dishonest, unethical, mean, and politically dangerous. To claim they are the chosen of the world because they are hated is an insult in the face to all their victims. I don't hate them because of Jesus name, I hate them because they are mean and they act like jerks. GaryB

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This is because the WTS likes the Old Testament more than the New Testament. This also explains why they are so legalistic as opposed to believing in grace.

Pay attention to the literature and you will notice that they reference Old Testament scriptures far more than the New Testament.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Can you imagine going to a predominantly Catholic town and canvassing the residents with Rutherford's anti-Catholic phonograph records? This is what they did in my hometown. For their efforts they were all thrown in jail. Did they expect people to receive them with open arms? Much of the "persecution" they received was for their own cantankerousness. They brought it upon themselves and it had nothing to do with Jesus.

• Flash
    Flash
    "And you will be objects of hatred by all people on account of my name; but he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved."(NWT)

That's a good point. I don't think the Witnesses give Jesus the respect and honor that Jehovah wants His Son to recieve.

Philippians 2:10 "...so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground. (11) and that every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

They came to where we lived and did stinking evil.

Only place Jesus came into it is that other people attempt christianity - else they'd probably have the ass-kickin' to end ass-kickins.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit