What do JWs think of AIDS?

by somebodylovesme 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

This might sound like a weird question... I know (obviously) JWs despise homosexuality, drug use, blood transfusions, and promiscuity. But those (as much as they might hate to admit it) are not the only ways people get AIDS. I'm far from an expert, but babies can contract it from mothers, a faithful person (married or unmarried) can contract it from a partner who has not been so faithful, a person may not KNOW they have it, and the list goes on. In some parts of the world, people don't know how to protect themselves from it.

Preaching to the choir here, I'm sure. In my mind, NO ONE EVER "deserves" to get AIDS, nor do they "Ask" for it or anything like that. And I think, given the additional ways it can be transmitted, even Witnesses should be able to admit that innocent people (who have not "sinned" according to WT standards) can still get AIDS. So, then, since I honestly have never heard it discussed (I was never a JW)... what do JWs think of AIDS? Do they support AIDS research? Do they actively teach that people with AIDS deserve it?

More to the point, if I wore my AIDS Awareness pin at my JW in-laws house, do you think they would find it offensive? (Note: I will wear it anyway, no matter what they think. But I like to know if I'm offending them or not.)

So, sorry to ramble, but I guess I'm just curious about their compassion level -- if it even registers on the meter.

Love and peace to all,
    SLM

• jgnat
    jgnat

*putting my JW hat on* Sad...so very sad...that we live in a world where such diseases flourish. Aren't we the fortunate ones that we avoid such diseases because of Jehovah's wise provision regarding blood transfusions? I have Paradise Earth sharply focused in my mind - when all these present troubles will be over! By the way, why do you bother to support a worldly political movement, when our focus should be on spiritual matters?

*taking my JW hat off* I don't think your button would be offensive - per se - but you may be questioned as to it's value.

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

jgnat --

Thanks for the response. As to the pin's value, what I would LOVE to say to them is: I support organizations who actually HELP people in need instead of judging and criticizing them. But instead, I will probably say (also a truthful answer) that it is in honor of a person I know who is living with AIDS and I support that person 100% -- and all the other people who may feel alone or unloved because of an epidemic disease.

Their answer is such a cop-out... grrr... like bad things never happen to Witnesses. Whatever.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the WTS has said quite a bit about AIDS. In the beginning, they were totally clueless and printed all the prejudiced crap that was floating around the world in general, for one, that it was a disease of homosexuals, drug addicts, and people who took blood transfusions. Then people started showing up with the disease that were heterosexual, hadn't used drugs or taken a transfusion. Africa is a good example of a place where these 3 groups are not the "cause" of AIDS, yet Africa is being decimated, including more and more JWs. The WTS has eased up some but still too many individual JWs think they are immune.

The WTS also has some strange policies.

JWs and people they study with who attend the meetings are supposed to tell the elders of their condition HV+ or full-blown. Of course, it will be kept confidential!!!!!

They were clueless that people could be HIV positive and not know it.

There was a rush for awhile to buy cleaning products that "kills" the aids virus and the attendants were trained in the "proper" way to clean up bodily fluids.

HIV/AIDS people were warned not to hug or kiss anyone. They would not be assigned to a private home for the book study.

They would be baptized separately or last.

If contemplating marriage (I love that phrase), they had to get an AIDS test if the other person requested it. If it came back positive, the other one could break the engagement without any fear of punishment by the congregation.

Awake 1994 3/22 p. 14 Helping Those With AIDS

Because of the life-threatening nature of AIDS, it is wise to keep in mind some reasonable precautions when welcoming an AIDS sufferer into our personal association or that of the Christian congregation. First, while no general announcement is to be made, we may want to inform one of the elders in the congregation of the situation so that he would be prepared to give a kind and appropriate response to any who may inquire about the matter.

Since the virus can be transmitted by an infected person?s blood, it may be reasonable for congregations to practice what are called universal precautions when cleaning rest rooms and spills, especially if blood is involved in the spill. "Universal precautions" is a term adopted by the medical profession to describe a set of rules whereby all blood from any person is considered contaminated and potentially hazardous and is therefore handled in a specific way. Because the Kingdom Hall is a public facility, it might be wise to have on hand cleaning supplies with a box of Latex or vinyl gloves available to provide proper care and cleanup in case of an accident. A 10 percent bleach (Clorox) solution is generally recommended for cleaning up blood spills.

The prudent AIDS sufferer realizes that others are sensitive about this disease. Therefore, out of respect for the feelings of those who want to be of assistance, it would be better for the AIDS victim not to initiate public displays of affection such as hugging and kissing. Even if there is little or no possibility that such gestures could communicate the disease, this restraint will show that the victim is considerate of others, thus engendering similar consideration in return.

Realizing that many have fears of the unknown, the person with AIDS should not be quick to take offense if he or she is not invited to private homes right away or if it seems that a parent restricts a child from being in close contact with him or her. And if one of the Congregation Book Studies is held at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah?s Witnesses, it may be wise for one with AIDS to choose to attend there, rather than in a private home, unless that one has discussed the situation with the householder.

Another situation in which an innocent person could become infected is by marrying someone who is unknowingly harboring the AIDS virus. The need for caution in such circumstances may be particularly necessary if one or both of the intended marriage partners had been promiscuous or had used needles to abuse drugs prior to coming to an accurate knowledge of God?s Word. Since there is a growing number of people who have asymptomatic HIV infection (that is, no outward symptoms as yet), it would not be improper for an individual or for caring parents to request an AIDS blood test of the prospective mate prior to engagement or marriage. Because of the devastating, fatal nature of this disease, a potential marriage partner should not take offense if that request is made.

If the test proves to be positive, it would be inappropriate for the infected party to pressure the intended mate to continue the courtship or engagement if the prospective mate now wishes to end the relationship. And it would be wise for anyone who previously lived a high-risk life-style, was promiscuous or used drugs intravenously, to choose voluntarily to be tested before beginning a courtship. In this way, hurt feelings could be avoided.

What should a person who knows he or she has AIDS do when he or she wants to become one of Jehovah?s Witnesses and get baptized? Out of respect for the feelings of others, it may be wise for them to request a private baptism, although there is no evidence to suggest that AIDS has been transmitted in swimming pools. While many first-century Christians were baptized at large public gatherings, others were baptized in more private settings because of varying circumstances. (Acts 2:38-41; 8:34-38; 9:17, 18) Another alternative would be for the candidate with AIDS to be baptized last.

Yet

Based on the current consensus, casual contact does not transmit AIDS. So it seems reasonable that one need not be unduly fearful of being around people with AIDS.

The WTS is always speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

Blondie

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Thanks Blondie!! That is very helpful.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

At one of the last book studies I attended, the Elder conducting the study went on and on about how disgusting gay people were and how they deserved to get Aids. I was disgusted by his unloving comments.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Can you believe that article is called "Helping those with AIDS" ?

It reads like "Avoiding AIDS - utilising mostly fearful and paranoid methods of uncaring"

---------------------------------------------------------

it may be reasonable for congregations to practice what are called universal precautions when cleaning rest rooms and spills, especially if blood is involved in the spill.

They didn't do that anyway ?

• Gadget
    Gadget
    At one of the last book studies I attended, the Elder conducting the study went on and on about how disgusting gay people were and how they deserved to get Aids.

That pretty much sums up what most of the jw's I knew thought about it, although there are exceptions. When I met my ex-wife she had just returned from a job working with aids victims in Romania, and we both went back there to visit them. We had so many toys and sweets in our rucksacks from them we couldn't pick them up ourselves, we needed help from the other person to get them up on our back. Its heartbreaking to see some of the conditions they have out there.

http://www.nightingaleschildrensproject.co.uk/index.html

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Thank you for sharing that link, Gadget. I want to someday be able to volunteer for something like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit