by peaceloveharmony 10 Replies latest jw friends

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

first, here is what the media had to say:

from the mpls star tribune:

Birthday show reflects a more mature Prince
    Jim Meyer

Saturday, June 16, 2001

In what is becoming a tradition, Prince is celebrating his birthday again with two homecoming concerts. Friday night's event at St. Paul's Xcel Energy Center indicated that Prince is entering a new age, in more ways than one.

Recently, Prince took a much-needed break from recording. At the same time, he seemed to find a new peace through humble soul-searching and a heightened religious devotion. He's even sworn off swearing.

No one was expecting altar garments and hymns Friday, but those who had heard the buzz about Prince's serious devotion to Jehovah's Witnesses were curious to see how far he would take it. As it turns out, further than his audience may realize.

The crowd, mostly in their 20s and early 30s, were there to dress up and get down. They weren't disappointed, even though many had to wait outside an hour while Prince gave a sound check for members of his fan club.

Plans for two surprise opening acts were dropped because of lateness, and Prince took the stage at 9:20 p.m. ready to roll. He kicked off with a solid half-hour of old favorite hits powered by sweet saxophonist Maceo Parker of the James Brown band.

Opening with "Uptown" and "Controversy" Prince's heart, and particularly his voice, did not seem fully into the old material.

Soon he settled into a quieter fusion-jazz tune that sent many restless fans racing for the corridors. They missed some impressive playing.

It wasn't the first time Prince confounded his crowd, and flew gracefully over their heads. After more hits such as "Cream" and "Little Red Corvette," a female gospel vocal quartet entered the stage, dressed in low-cut long black dresses, but slit plenty high on the sides. Their vocalizing suddenly brought a different feel to the night. After a gospel tune based on "You Are My Sunshine," Prince broke into a little sermon drama in which he scolded a woman for wearing her dress too short.

"See these dresses?" he exclaimed, pointing to the vocal group. "These are nice dresses! What is that short thing you've got on?"

There are some powerhouse contemporary gospel groups around today who deliver music as strong as Prince's current group; Yolanda Adams for one. But only Prince brings the complexity, total unpredictability, musical range, and sense of creative risk to his show. Seeing him in concert these days, you enter a world where delicious beauty meets inspiring devotion. It's not quite heaven but it's closer than any mainstream pop or funk group dares to reach.

Prince plays a second show tonight at 8 p.m. at Xcel Energy Center.

. http://www.startribune.com/viewers/qview/cgi/qview.cgi?story=84373191&template=metro_a

and from the st. paul pioneer press:

Prince fans wait (and wait)
    JOHN NEMO SPECIAL TO PIONEER PRESS

D

Deanglo Taylor stood among the sea of human bodies inside the Xcel Energy Center lobby Friday, his bright red fedora standing out like a fishing bobber among the waves of black, blond and brown hair.

Evans was among the 14,000 fans who showed up Friday to see Prince's first hometown arena show since a 1997 performance at Target Center.

Friday's show started with — what else? — some strange behavior by Prince. The singer did not allow ticket holders to even sit inside the arena until 8:20 p.m., 20 minutes after the show was supposed to start.

The delay left thousands of fans crammed inside the arena concourses while Prince and his band conducted their sound check.

While most sound checks are done several hours before a show, Prince didn't start his until about 6 p.m., according to an Xcel Energy Center official.

So while thousands of people stood sweating in the cramped entry areas and beyond, Taylor and a few other VIPs from Prince's online NPG Club were allowed to watch the Purple One meander through the motions of getting the sound system to his liking.

"I've seen him over 200 times," Taylor said as he made his way through the crowd. "I'm just a die-hard. I've been with him since 1980."

Some fans felt as if a decade might pass before they would be allowed to sit down.

"These tickets weren't cheap," said Renee Hammes, 33, of Bloomington, standing near an elevator. "They got us packed in here like cattle."

Hammes' husband, Ed, 31, cradled a small pizza box and a beer while standing next to her.

"Even if it's a (great) show, I don't think we'll be seeing another Prince show for a long time," he said. "He's losing fans."

Some onlookers didn't mind the delay one bit, saying they'd expect nothing less from Prince, who is known for his late-night jams and post-show parties at his Paisley Park Studios in Chanhassen. Prince has been holding shows with guest performers like Erykah Badu, listening sessions for his new CD and other events there all week as part of what he calls "A Celebration."

"I've heard this kind of thing happens," said Dan Greene, 35, of Elk River, while waiting inside the arena. "He's a showman and a perfectionist — he wants to make sure everything is just right. Now, if I have to wait an extended period of time and the show (stinks), then I'll be angry."

Prince finally started the evening at 9:15 p.m. to thunderous applause.

He will play a second show tonight at the Xcel Energy Center. Tickets say the concert will begin at 8 p.m., but some members of Friday's crowd might argue otherwise.

. http://pioneerplanet.com/news/mtc_docs/68364.htm

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

and here are my thoughts...

i thought the show was good but did notice that prince changed some lyrics. i don't the name of the song but it goes like this "HEY! hallalujeh....." but prince didn't sing the "hallalujeh" part. i'm sure there were others but well, i can't recall right now (lol).
    i was impressed he sang "cream", "raspberry beret", "little red corvette", "nothing compares 2 u", "when doves cry" and of course "purple rain". he talked a little to the crowd between songs but i was high up in the stadium, i couldn't make out what he was saying.
    i found this interesting from the star tribune article:

After a gospel tune based on "You Are My Sunshine," Prince broke into a little sermon drama in which he scolded a woman for wearing her dress too short.

"See these dresses?" he exclaimed, pointing to the vocal group. "These are nice dresses! What is that short thing you've got on?"

i totally missed the mini-drama, must have been getting more beer glad i missed it, i probably would have been sick!

i was disappointed that he didn't perform "erotic city", "pussy control", "you sexy motherfucker", "darling nikki" and many others of his more racy stuff. and i was soooooo disappointed he didn't do "1999" lol, i wanted to have a good belly laugh thinking about the new and improved "1975" spin on that song hehe....

so besides waiting forever to get to our seats, having to drink crap beer, i think prince's "birthday" celebration was entertaining and worth my time. i do find it curious though, that it was called a birthday celebration by the writer at the tribune...doesn't everyone know jws don't do birthdays??

anyways, thanks for reading
    love
    harmony

ps. i probably have more to say but am experiencing a slight hangover and my brain is slowwwwww today

"Power doesn't mean you're acting like a man, or you're a bully or a bitch. It's that you don't let people step on you"
    -Sharon Monplaisir

• logical
    logical
    my brain is slowwwwww today

What you mean, today???

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey Peace:

Thanks for the info. I hope the dude wakes up. I think he will. Come on Prince likes too much...... well you know to stay in such a repressive environment for too long. Hey did he do "Let's Go Crazy"?
    I love that song. How about "I Would Die for U". I like that one too.

ONE....

Bigboi

"it ain't what ya do. it's how you do it" quote from the song "True Honeybunz" by Bahamadia

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hi PLH,

Thanks for the update. Shame that he's gone low-key but I guess that's what happens when people join a Fundy religion.

Do you want some asprin for that headache?

• nelly136
    nelly136

awww sweet, he wanted his audience to know how it feels to stand in a food queue at the assembly, you missed the free magazine give away? bummer!!!
    told ya to wear modest clothing didnt I? <snicker>
    nelly

• outnfree
    outnfree

Hi, Harmony!

The writer called it a "Birthday", but Prince just called it a "Celebration." That makes it all okay...

Thanks for the update.
    I read the articles this afternoon, must've been moments after you put them up. Thought to myself -- and the hangover prevents her from posting her OWN review???!!!??? LOL

I see that you posted your own thoughts shortly thereafter -- but I wasn't wrong about the headache now, was I?

Thanks again!

outnfree

• joelbear
    joelbear

Sounds like he will make a great Jehovahs Witness. Change and edit songs to show your faith, but allow people to wait uncomfortably past the scheduled beginning of your show is okay.

Form over substance. He's got the formula down pat.

hugs

Joel

• BugEye
    BugEye

Harmony

Hair of the dog \~/ \~/ \~/ \~/

Glad you had a blast, but then again, I never expected anything less of you.

Thanks for the media info too.

BugEye

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hey everyone, thanks for all you comments! just wanted to share what i heard on the local morning radio program in listen to here in mpls. a few callers were talking about the prince show, they said it sucked! i won't go that far...but i understand why they thought it sucked. i think most people were expecting a funky, far out, 80/90's prince-kinda show so for them, a big disappointment. tommy b, the dj, mentioned that prince is now a jw and so that is why his music changed. the caller agreed.

okay, just wanted to share...thanks again for reading and all your nice comments

love
    harmony

ps. kent, thanks for putting this up on your website. i feel so cool, like i've made it big in the apostate world *hugs*

"Power doesn't mean you're acting like a man, or you're a bully or a bitch. It's that you don't let people step on you"
    -Sharon Monplaisir

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit